starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat

Default Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Can you please pinpoint what's making my elbows drop and the wrist to bend when the load is heavy? Is the position of the bar the problem? Also, if you have any additional remarks, appreciated!
    Thank you Rip and the team.

Sqaut form check - YouTube

Hi Jawad, I’ve had this issue a bit too. For a while you may have to think consciously about straight wrists and/or pin elbows to torso. More generally, that upper back entire shelf needs to be tight and secure before you even unrack the bar.

The squat rack is in the way a bit, but it looks like you also demonstrate the “knee slide” form fault.

Thank you! Could you please explain the knee slide fault? Is it the direction of my knees and foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawad View Post
    Hello,

Can you please pinpoint what's making my elbows drop and the wrist to bend when the load is heavy? Is the position of the bar the problem? Also, if you have any additional remarks, appreciated!
    Thank you Rip and the team.

Sqaut form check - YouTube
    Bar seems to be high on the back, which causes a vertical back angle and knees to go forward and then the bar rolls up on the ascent

Thank you! Could you please explain the knee slide fault? Is it the direction of my knees and foot?
    You’re welcome. There are some videos out there that will show this better than I can type it. Your rack prevented me from seeing your knees clearly, but I’m pretty sure you have this issue. Feel free to post another so we can take a look and verify. Here are some videos:

TUBOW: The Portable Squat Coach - YouTube

Stopping Knee Slide in the Squat with Andrew Lewis - YouTube

Using the TUBOW with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

As Francesco mentioned, the bar is high because these are high bar squats.

There are several “how to squat” videos on the ss site that can be found with the search function. I recommend you fix this before worrying about your wrists and elbows.

The elbow issue is not your main concern. You need to bend over more and point your nipples at the floor from the start. You are setting your knees all the way down and then crashing into the bottom. Get bent over right away (point your nipples at the floor, point your shoulders down to your toes). Shove your knees forward and out (knee over big toe). Get the knees set half way down (with knee over big toe and femurs tracking over the toes) and freeze them there. From there keep your chest down and let your pelvis sink below your femurs so the apex of the hip crease is just below the patella. Drive your ass straight up out of the bottom and keep your chest/belly down while you stay in your hips.

Oh I think I get most of it, thanks! Just 1 small question, is there a video for the part of letting the pelvis sink below the femurs while holding the knee fixed halfway? Thanks again

Okay thanks! One more question, there is this hole in my shoulder when i push my elbows back and raise my chest. Is this where the bar supposed to rest? I have read the book but I am not sure where it is on my body and how to locate it?

starting strength coach development program
    Oh I think I get most of it, thanks! Just 1 small question, is there a video for the part of letting the pelvis sink below the femurs while holding the knee fixed halfway? Thanks again
    Lookup “Andrew Lewis knee slide” in the search function. Should be the first result.

The thought that helped me was “Your knees only come forward when your hips come forward. Move your hips back to both 1) get depth and 2) freeze your knees”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast