• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, would much appreciate some feedback on form,

Deadlift 1x5 180 kg:
    D 180 x 5 - YouTube

Backoff set 1x8 163 kg:
    DL 163 x 8 - YouTube

I am strapping in to the bar - felt the videos are already too long enough without showing me fiddling with this.

BW: 103 kg (about 230 lbs)
    Height: 178 cm (5 feet 10 inch)

Always fear the slightest bend in the back.
    I am unsure if my hips come down too low and/or if i need to spend more time in the bottom getting tight?

Let me know if i need to get the angle from forward/side instead of straight from the side.

Lasse

By the 5th rep of a heavy set of 5, it's not unusual to see a little bit of flexion. This was a good set.

Nice lifts.

2 piggyback questions if I may:

The hips are down dropping into a set position then coming up to start the pull, rather than staying high. Is that not technically a mistake compared to the model deadlift?
    In this instance, at this weight, is it a case of it doesn't matter because the lift getting done overides it in terms of importance?

Secondly the bar's going forward at lockout, is that because of the torso leaning back causing the bar humping action? Is the fix just a simple reminder to not lean back at lockout but rather to just stand up straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The hips are down dropping into a set position then coming up to start the pull, rather than staying high. Is that not technically a mistake compared to the model deadlift?
    In this instance, at this weight, is it a case of it doesn't matter because the lift getting done overides it in terms of importance?
    There is a tiny bit of that. And the flexion on rep 5 is technically wrong too. I said it was a "good" set, not a perfect set.

Secondly the bar's going forward at lockout, is that because of the torso leaning back causing the bar humping action? Is the fix just a simple reminder to not lean back at lockout but rather to just stand up straight?
    Since the weight is quite in excess of his bodyweight, he has to balance the load on the front of his thighs by leaning back at the top. This is normal physics, and everybody does it. It is exaggerated here by the fact that his knees are not in complete extension as he does it. Again, it's not perfect.

Nice lifts.

2 piggyback questions if I may:
    Thanks.

I am trying to take in air and get tight, then drop hips down to the start position - bar over mid foot, shins touching bar.
    I realise this carries a risk to drop too low and move the bar forward, and you are right this is mixing steps in the model. (I am aware that neither foot nor shins can be seen from the video angle, sorry)

The bar feels heaviest right off the floor, and it feels way harder if i dont "drop down" to the position like this after taking in air.

Any comments are much appreciated.

When i watch real close, i see the bar is moving forward maybe a centimeter right before leaving the floor on each rep except the first one. I am not sure if i reset the bar too close to the shins or if i drop the hips just a bit too low. I honestly cannot see if the bar goes backwards after leaving the floor, but i would think this is heavy enough that the bar is not leaving the floor forward of mid foot ...

Shoot a set from a better angle so we can see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Shoot a set from a better angle so we can see the problem.
    Todays set 4x182,5 - the 5th rep did not go up. Hope this angle gives a better view:
    Deadlift 4x182,5 - YouTube

Backoff 8x164:
    Deadlift 8x164 - YouTube

From this side it seems obvious that the bar is uneven with the right side of the bar drifting backwards and the left side drifting forward. I know my shoulders are somewhat uneven, think the left is tight / pulled up. I recorded this in the last 2 seconds of the 8x164 video (this will give me a laugh if i rewatch that video in 10 years.)

Can i have someone's opinion again on start position / hip height.

Much better video. Last rep got forward. Doesn't take much at limit weight.

starting strength coach development program
    I would not take numerous breaths before the last rep - you will not manage to get more air anyway. Just take a single breath and go for it.