Thread: Squat 496lbs x5 -- knee slide/depth

Default Squat 496lbs x5 -- knee slide/depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    bodyweight 215
    height 6'0
    age 30

Over the last year I developed hip flexor tendonitis. I'd feel the pain start as my knees slide forward and then intensify as I initiated the ascent. I've been focusing on it, and I still have a bit of knee slide sometimes, but it's much better than it was, as is the pain.
    I'm working my way back up and getting closer to my previous PRs, but, I kind of struggle to hit depth now. I'm trying to go as deep as possible without letting my knees go forward, and I think I am hitting depth; albeit barely. Please correct me if that's not the case:

squat video

Depth is very close, and a little knee slide which could be causing your hip flexor shit. Both are solved by jamming your knees out to the sides as you get to the bottom. And keep your elbows up too.

Thanks for the input Rip. I tried applying your advice to today's set at 502x5:

500x5.mp4 - Google Drive

but I think I will need to work at it some more. I think the first rep looks pretty good, but it's getting heavy for me and hard to apply a technique change, so it goes to shit as the set progresses. The elbows are especially challenging.

P.S. sorry about the loud music -- out of my control.

If your knees are kicking forward at the bottom, then your ass is not moving back. Back angle is involved. Simple geometry problem.