starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Form check with a failed 5th rep at 360 lbs

Default Form check with a failed 5th rep at 360 lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

If you could please watch the video I uploaded and pinpoint where I went wrong in the form of the squat that would be great. Really appreciate your comments.
    Thank you

Squat form check- Failed 5th rep at 360 lbs - YouTube

None of them were within 3 inches of parallel. Go back down to 315 and learn how to squat.

I think the aspect ratio gets distorted on Youtube Shorts.
    Not worth commenting on anything posted in that format.

Thank you Rip for your comment. I am doing the texas method, would you recommend going back to the NLP at 315 and work my way to where I am now? Or would you suggest staying on the texas method?

Never jump to intermediate programming when an LP will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawad View Post
    Thank you Rip for your comment. I am doing the texas method, would you recommend going back to the NLP at 315 and work my way to where I am now? Or would you suggest staying on the texas method?
    I have a question, how exactly is that guy behind you supposed to help you? Don't you have safety pins right there?
    Don't use spotters that don't know what they're doing, they could be more trouble than help. You see how he was stopping you from getting out of the bar by stomping over you for no reason?
    That's dumb.

Unfortunately there are no pins in the gym, which makes spotting pretty useless. I believe he is there for the psychological support

Hey Rip again,
    Went back to NLP at 315Lbs to work on form and depth, and I actually reread the squat chapter in the blue book twice before I went in for my next workout. Would really appreciate if you could tell me if there is anything wrong with my new set of 5, (I noticed the bar wiggling around after It got hard, perhaps the bar position was wrong?) and if this depth is too deep.

Squat Form check- 315 Lbs - YouTube

You have 4 inches of forward knee travel at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawad View Post
    Unfortunately there are no pins in the gym, which makes spotting pretty useless. I believe he is there for the psychological support

Hey Rip again,
    Went back to NLP at 315Lbs to work on form and depth, and I actually reread the squat chapter in the blue book twice before I went in for my next workout. Would really appreciate if you could tell me if there is anything wrong with my new set of 5, (I noticed the bar wiggling around after It got hard, perhaps the bar position was wrong?) and if this depth is too deep.

Squat Form check- 315 Lbs - YouTube
    Did I imagine the pins stopping the bar from decapitating you in the first video? Those are safety pins, although they are too low, they still do their job, and the spotter has no meaning as a "psychological support" if he's standing there ready to cause trouble. He'd be more useful standing next you and yelling something.
    Spotting WOULD BE useful if there were no safety pins, but it needs to be done correctly (one spotter per side)

You need to actually understand what you read, not just scroll through the pages and look at the pictures and try to replicate the movement by memory. Spend more time on the book, and go see an SSC if you can, but at least try to get the basic criteria for a Squat right (bar position, back angle, depth and bar height in the rack, right now it's too high), and go over the initial chapter about Balance or try this Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe

Don't put more weight on that bar for now, and good luck

starting strength coach development program
    I focused on keeping my knees out during the descent as stated in the blue book, what else should I do to fix it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast