starting strength gym

Thread: just a quick question about squat form - setting back and squeezing abs

Default just a quick question about squat form - setting back and squeezing abs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Starting Strength community,

I recently came across an old video in which Rip mentions something along the lines of "lumbar contraction must precede abdominal contraction" when squatting.

I was just curious about the science of why that is, and/or if it is only a slight nuance or a really a very crucial thing to pay attention to.

Turns out that I have subconsciously built a bad habit of doing this exactly the reversed way (i.e. first I squeeze my abs, then I rotate my pelvis a bit to contract the lower back) and was wondering if it is important enough to re-train myself this part of the lift.

Thanks.

48-year old Male with usual aches and pains, NLP week 10.
    Bodyweight staying at about 220 pounds.
    Last Squat session yesterday 5 sets of 3 reps @ 280 lbs
    On 24 December 2022 it was 3 sets of 5 reps @ 185 lbs.

Because an abdominal contraction not preceded by a lumbar extension will produce some degree of lumbar flexion, which we don't want in a deadlift or squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because an abdominal contraction not preceded by a lumbar extension will produce some degree of lumbar flexion, which we don't want in a deadlift or squat.
    This was a good question by the OP and obviously a good answer. I am surprised I had not specifically thought about this previously. SS just keeps on giving.

I'll take it. Thanks Rip!