starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haltings form check

Default Haltings form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    27 yo
    5"11' - 213,5lbs

I've slowly transitioned to a Texas Method and want to incorporate Haltings on my recovery day since I tend to lose back extension on my deadlifts. I tried them for the first time last week and they sucked. This time it went a little better, but on most reps my back was flexed (also I did 9 instead of 8, it's really hard to count after 5).
    My top set of 5 is 184kg (405lbs), these are done with 150kg (330 lbs) which should feel pretty easy since it's only like 82% of my 5RM.
    I'm cueing myself to point my chest up as much as possible, squeeze my lats as if I was squeezing something between my armpits, and start the movement with knee extension.

How should I approach this? Keep the same load until I can do most reps with a flat back? Do 5 reps instead of 8?
    Thanks

Haltings - 150kg x8 - YouTube

I don't see a lot wrong with this set. Does a belt not help?

“Butt Wink” | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't see a lot wrong with this set. Does a belt not help?

“Butt Wink” | Mark Rippetoe
    I tried using mine on the deadlift, and it's mostly distracting and I don't think it helps with extension, or breathing. I should probably get a thinner leather belt. Mine is a velcro belt, has worked fine till now on my squats and presses, I can get it pretty tight and it doesn't move. Mabye I should make the investment and get a rogue belt or something like that. I'm using a hook grip now, mabye using straps could help?

Deadlift - 184kg - YouTube

This is my 405lbs deadlift, just as a reference.

Your low back is in extension. Read the article I attached.

Your low back is in extension. Read the article I attached.
    I see, I guess the layer of fat around my waist is deceiving me, as well as having been a skinny guy who could easily get into over extension

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I see, I guess the layer of fat around my waist is deceiving me, as well as having been a skinny guy who could easily get into over extension
    How? Do you not see that your low back is flat? What do you want it to look like?

How? Do you not see that your low back is flat? What do you want it to look like?
    I see a curved line where my low back is, especially as the set progresses (I'm talking about the haltings). As I said it might be an illusion from my love handles, but it doesn't look as flat as it should be for me, and I can also feel my low back rounding as I start the rep.
    Is there an easy example of what a flexed low back looks like that I can check out?

Did you read the article I attached for this purpose?

Did you read the article I attached for this purpose?
    Yes I did. I understand that now I'm thicker and have some fat around my waist so my back will not look flat as a board, and that some flexion is normal. How do you recognize it being in extension since there can be variability in what extension looks like in different people? Is it just experience? Or should I look for specific form errors that tell me the low back is in flexion even if I can't see it directy?

For example, I tend to shift my weight back from my starting position. Is my starting position wrong or is this just "normal"?

starting strength coach development program
    If anything your upper back extension gets less decisive as the set progresses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast