Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6’6”
    220lb
    27 y/o
    3.5 months into progression
    BW has progressed from 185-220 since starting the program. (225 depending the time of day)
    First post here

Dropped weight to work on form for all lifts after reading the book for a second time and stalling on Squat/DL. Tried sumo for a while because of my height, and it worked for me for a while but wanted to switch to conventional b/c I’m trying to follow the program as closely as possible.

Hoping to continue the LP starting at 300 and wanted some advice here. Worried about upper back arch/jerking from floor/bar path/mid foot position. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

295 x 5 DL-Form Check - YouTube

These are not terrible. You jerked the first rep off the floor, but that stopped. Knees are just a hair too forward at the start, raise your hips just a little and push the floor away from the bar.

Your biggest problem right now is bodyweight. I hope you understand this.

Bodyweight is on a steady increase. I used to weigh 385, but lost a ton of weight and spent some years running and cycling. Enjoy those things, but kept hurting my knees and decided I didn’t want to be skinny and weak anymore. Was an adjustment to go into an intentional surplus for sure coming from being fat.

4000 cals/250g protein minimum is my current plan. Waist just hit 36 inches up from 32. Chest/legs/arms have grown proportionally more which is good.

New jeans here I come.

Thanks for the feedback

Echo what Rip said.

I like the analogy of 'slipping the clutch' to get the bar moving. Jerking the bar comes from anticipation to get it moving. Follow the five-step setup, and push on the floor. It will move.

Quote Originally Posted by GSM1995 View Post
    Bodyweight is on a steady increase. I used to weigh 385, but lost a ton of weight and spent some years running and cycling.
    You lost 200 pounds? This is very impressive, even if you took the weight loss far too far.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You lost 200 pounds? This is very impressive, even if you took the weight loss far too far.

Thanks! Yeah I did lose 200 pounds. Definitely took it too far. SS has really helped me to break out of some insanely restrictive caloric intake habits, and to have a more healthy view of proper bodyweight.