starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check (and sciatica? pain)

Default Squat check (and sciatica? pain)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone - been interested in Starting Strength for a few years, but still very much a novice. Both made the classic mistake of not eating enough (exasperated a few years ago by various stomach ailments and an inability to tolerate whey protein - thankfully cleared up now) and by getting a hernia in my first few weeks of training (operated on at the time, but with lingering aches from nerve endings a few years on).

Got back into the program a few weeks ago and keen for a form check, partly because I do have some pretty sharp pains which I would guess are sciatica (mainly located in the right hip and in the lower back at a specific point just above butt, but which occasionally radiates slightly down the right leg). I am not convinced it is caused by my squatting/deadlift as I did have the issue before to a much lesser extent (and in fact today the pain went away when squatting and for a few hours afterwards).

Would appreciate any thoughts on my form though. A friend has already pointed out that the location of the bar on my back is probably too high (usually I don't want a t-shirt when exercising and I do think the bar slide up a bit) and I should be bracing more.

Current numbers:
    Weight: 74.6kg
    Squat (as here): 70kg
    Press: 37.5kg
    Deadlift: 80kg
    Bench Press: 57.5kg

Squat video: Squat 28th March - YouTube

Thanks!

These are high-bar squats, and that equipment is going to get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These are high-bar squats, and that equipment is going to get you killed.
    Thanks for the feedback - given the latter, I'd be better postponing any work until I can afford a decent power rack (and will avoid the more commonly sold cheaper squat racks in future).

That's no joke. Get yourself a squat rack.