starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Your back is too vertical in the first video, and I can't see the angle in this one. Usually with this degree of hip asymmetry we have to cue the correction very hard: hips are shifting to the right? You make them shift to the left. Take it down to 205 and try that.

Stance looks a bit wide as well, to my eye. I wonder if your adductors are close to their limit of extensibility.

Since you’re working things out, maybe confirm that the bar is sitting plumb, too. Looks to be tilting left.

I wondered the same thing about my stance. I was kind of overthinking it yesterday. Need to just remember shoulder width/30 degree toes. I see that about the bar too. I’ve noticed that some times I come up with my whole body just kind of crooked. Not sure if that’s related to the hip issue.

I have seen some people try and remedy hip shift issue by using a very light resistance band pulling in the direction of the shift, the idea being that in pulling away from the resistance of the band, the hip shift would be corrected.

Additionally, I have been told to stand on a thine plate like a 10lb bumper while squatting. The thinking here is that the plate under the right leg would over load it, and cause me to shift to the left, or in my case closer to the center. Idk, but seems like it could be problematic, and wanted some input before I attempted either method.

I’m going to really cue shifting to the left on tomorrows squats and see how they look with 205lbs.

Do those other strategies have any merit?

Do you have any scoliosis?

Quote Originally Posted by GSM1995 View Post
    Additionally, I have been told to stand on a thine plate like a 10lb bumper while squatting. The thinking here is that the plate under the right leg would over load it, and cause me to shift to the left, or in my case closer to the center.
    If you’re suggesting that it’s a strength imbalance and you can fix it this way, around here we would suggest deloading to a weight the weaker side can handle with a regular squat, focusing intently on symmetry, and gradually building back up.

If the problem derived from a leg length discrepancy, shimming the short leg is a valid fix, although I would recommend having a cobbler modify your shoe. That’s more permanent and more stable than standing on a plate (I know that’s not what you meant when you suggested a bumper plate - I’m just adding extra information that may be relevant).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you have any scoliosis?
    I have never been diagnosed with it, but this squat issue has made me wonder if I have some scoliosis going on. I have a lifter friend who mentioned the same thing after seeing my squat.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    If you’re suggesting that it’s a strength imbalance and you can fix it this way, around here we would suggest deloading to a weight the weaker side can handle with a regular squat, focusing intently on symmetry, and gradually building back up.
    This much asymmetry cannot be addressed this way. He's going to have to actively try to move his ass the other way, to retrain the movement back to symmetry, because he can't feel the asymmetry even on the first rep. IOW, he needs to learn a brand-new movement pattern.

If the problem derived from a leg length discrepancy, shimming the short leg is a valid fix, although I would recommend having a cobbler modify your shoe. That’s more permanent and more stable than standing on a plate (I know that’s not what you meant when you suggested a bumper plate - I’m just adding extra information that may be relevant).
    If there is a LLD, he's still going to have to do the above process, even if the shim corrects the LLD. The movement pattern is the problem now, not the LLD, which may or may not have started it.

Thanks so much for the advice. I’ve been really stumped about this, and now that you mention this, I had custom orthotic inserts as a kid for flat feet. I remember that one of them had a shim for a leg length discrepancy . I grew out of them and never got another pair made. I hadn’t thought about it in years. That would be worth looking into. Dropped the weight to 205 this morning and really forced my hips to the left. In the footage, it’s not perfect but an improvement on some reps.

Need to look into getting a shim, and continue the LP from 205.

Would a thin plate under my heel be worth a try?

heels look too wide,
    toes are splayed wider than 30,
    and knees aren't tracking over the too wide toes/feet,

narrow the heels a couple inches,
    turn toes in more, to 30*, measure and mark a line @ 30*, each side, till it's engrained,
    then see if knees can't track parrallel to foot angle,
    take some weight off the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    heels look too wide,
    toes are splayed wider than 30,
    and knees aren't tracking over the too wide toes/feet,

narrow the heels a couple inches,
    turn toes in more, to 30*, measure and mark a line @ 30*, each side, till it's engrained,
    then see if knees can't track parrallel to foot angle,
    take some weight off the bar.
    That’s good advice, I’ll set a tape marker on the floor. I’ve noticed some inconsistency in my stance too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast