starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: squat form check needed please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gv3055 View Post
    Thanks Rip, you got me on the eyes thing. I was facing the mirror and couldn't help but admire myself on the way up I guess, lol.
    Anyway I turned around which fixed that problem.
    "To the powerful and the wise, the mirror always lies." Always face out from the mirror whenever possible, if you're stuck training in a venue with them...

You have the right idea with your knees but these are all high again.

We can't see your feet/stance width to make a proper assessment but your knees need to be shoved out wider to make room for your belly to drop between your thighs thus allowing you to hit depth without your knees sliding forward.

Get us a video that shows your feet.

Knees still moving forward a bit at the bottom. Keep your eyes fixed. You looked up towards the end of the last 2 reps and immediately stopped driving your hips up and led with the chest.
    Otherwise, looking pretty good. A couple of reps were borderline-depth, but much better than initial vids.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Here are three sets from this morning at 95 kg.
    The first video is from the front so you could assess my foot width.

Incidentally I tried putting my feet a couple inches wider today so am curious if you feel depth is being hit again and/or if the knee slide has improved - at least a little bit (I know it is still sliding on some of these reps a little).
    By the way, sorry I realized too late that I had only black clothing with me this morning. Hopefully you can still see what you need to see.

Set 1 (front): squat21Apr95kg(1) - YouTube
    Set 2 (focus on knees): squat21Apr95kg(2) - YouTube
    Set 3: side angle whole body: squat21Apr95kg(3) - YouTube

Thanks again all!

Hi, I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Since there was no major critique of the last 3 videos, here are two more from this morning with another 10 pounds added.

I am getting a little frustrated because I cannot seem to figure out the correct cue to stop the knees from sliding on each rep (some reps are better than others), nor do know what would be considered an acceptable amount of forward movement, if any.
    It is one thing to know the knees shouldn't slide forward (and I think I even know why), but cueing myself by thinking 'ass back', 'knees out' and 'vertical shins' do not seem to do the trick. Maybe it is too many cues

Set 2:
    squat24apr2023-100kg(1) - YouTube

Set 3:
    squat24apr2023-100kg(2) - YouTube

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Daltonar View Post
    Knees still moving forward a bit at the bottom. Keep your eyes fixed. You looked up towards the end of the last 2 reps and immediately stopped driving your hips up and led with the chest.
    Otherwise, looking pretty good. A couple of reps were borderline-depth, but much better than initial vids.
    great eye btw.! Indeed on those two reps I was looking into the ether and then the chest went up!
    have posted several new vids since then, do you see any improvement on that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by gv3055 View Post
    Hi, I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Since there was no major critique of the last 3 videos, here are two more from this morning with another 10 pounds added.

I am getting a little frustrated because I cannot seem to figure out the correct cue to stop the knees from sliding on each rep (some reps are better than others), nor do know what would be considered an acceptable amount of forward movement, if any.
    It is one thing to know the knees shouldn't slide forward (and I think I even know why), but cueing myself by thinking 'ass back', 'knees out' and 'vertical shins' do not seem to do the trick. Maybe it is too many cues

Set 2:
    squat24apr2023-100kg(1) - YouTube

Set 3:
    squat24apr2023-100kg(2) - YouTube

Thanks again...
    Forget about your knees. Point your nipples at the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    Forget about your knees. Point your nipples at the floor.
    hmm ok, so my back angle still looks too vertical?

I guess that is a good theory and could certainly explain the knee slide.

Will try to focus on that. Just too many cues to remember at one time.
    Thinking about my knees is what finally allowed me to get depth earlier in this thread so I am not sure if I can/should forget about them

In any case I am going to see SS coach Ross in less than 4 weeks so in the event I am too uncoordinated to perfect my form before then with written help, he will be able to straighten me out I think.

Don't try to remember all of the cues during a heavy lift - you can't focus on everything at once. "Nipples at the floor" is a kind of master cue, but for knee slide "shove your knees out". Maybe you could combine the two cues somehow - "drop your nipples between your knees" - or something like that.

Good call on going to see the SSC. I am sure he will find the appropriate words to yell at you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast