starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: squat form check needed please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    nice thanks

OK I tried to lean over more yesterday and was able to get one video.

squat29apr2023-100kg - YouTube

I started to feel the need to stay in the hips so I think it is a small step in the right direction.
    However I could feel the bar rolling up my back a little so maybe I am leaning over too much?

You're driving your hips up better, but you're still sliding knees forward at the bottom. If the bar moves up during the set, you placed it too high on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're driving your hips up better, but you're still sliding knees forward at the bottom. If the bar moves up during the set, you placed it too high on your back.
    Thanks a lot Rip,

I tried again yesterday and took some more videos, but I won't waste your time with them. I can see myself that the knee slide does not get better even though I am literally trying to force them not to slide forward at the bottom. It is very frustrating and I am starting to feel like a hopeless case here. At least the bar didn't slide anymore...
    By the way, I caught myself a couple times in the videos losing my eye focus and lifting chest, but I will correct that one on my own for sure.

Anyway I doubt you will see much improvement but I will post these videos from yesterday just in case...

Last warm up set:
    squat01May2023-102.5kg(2) - YouTube

Work sets:
    squat01May2023-102.5kg(3) - YouTube
    squat01May2023-102.5kg(4) - YouTube
    squat01May2023-102.5kg(5) - YouTube

Thanks again for all the time you have invested in me already!

You can see what you're doing just as easily as I can. Get a TUBOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You can see what you're doing just as easily as I can. Get a TUBOW.
    You've read my mind, Rip, thanks!!

Knee slide is getting much better, in my humble opinion, at least on the lighter warm up sets.
    But it is noteworthy that as the weight gets heavier, the knee slide starts coming back.

Does it mean I should drop weight and build up 5 lbs per workout starting at the highest weight where I don't have knee slide (or where it is minimal), or would I be better served to keep training with a Tubow with the heavier weights until I am cured of this?

Below I have links to incrementally heavier sets so you can see that the knee slide starts out good at 60 kg but gets gradually worse at my first work set of 110 kg.

Thanks for any further comments!

60 kg: squat7may2023-60kg - YouTube
    70 kg: squat7may2023-70kg - YouTube
    80 kg: squat7may2023-80kg - YouTube
    90 kg: squat7may2023-90kg - YouTube
    100 kg: squat7may2023-100kg - YouTube
    110 kg: https://youtu.be/Kx1ir8djZRM

When you begin your descent you are focused on not moving your knees at all. Then when you get close to the bottom you can't hit depth without sliding them forward. Bend your knees early. You are doing this on some reps (sets 70 thru 90 looked better). I don't think lowering the weight will help - your worst sets were at 60kg. You probably need someone watching every rep and coaching you in real time. When do you see the SSC?

Here's a video to explain what I am talking about:

Setting the Knees Early During the Squat | Steve Ross

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    When you begin your descent you are focused on not moving your knees at all. Then when you get close to the bottom you can't hit depth without sliding them forward. Bend your knees early. You are doing this on some reps (sets 70 thru 90 looked better). I don't think lowering the weight will help - your worst sets were at 60kg. You probably need someone watching every rep and coaching you in real time. When do you see the SSC?

Here's a video to explain what I am talking about:

Setting the Knees Early During the Squat | Steve Ross
    thanks Heinz83! I actually see Steve in 2 weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    Just for fun I watched Steve's video about setting the knees and recorded a set at 100 kg yesterday.
    One thing is for sure . he makes it look a lot easier in his video than it actually is.
    I am hoping he can fix me on the platform somehow. I might be his hardest case yet.

Squat10May2023-100kg(3) - YouTube

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast