starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press - Hamstrings Cramping

Default Bench Press - Hamstrings Cramping

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Gentlemen:

3rd Set at 260: 260# - 3rd Set - YouTube

My first post here for bench press. Specific issue is frequent cramping of hamstrings. Wondering if there’s some fix that might be obvious from your perspective.

Have to lift my butt to unrack or risk immediate cramp. Otherwise, from my uneducated perspective, I think I’m generally in-line with the blue book. Every set feels on the verge of cramping. When it comes, I either have to ditch, or finish set with one leg sticking straight out. When really bad, it can shut down the remainder of the training session for me since it might take 30 mins before I can feel confident using the leg.

Appreciate any guidance.

Cramping is not specific to any one exercise. Look up "cramps" on these forums.

Rip + OP if this is the same as the issue I occasionally experience it's not a classic "cramp" but a seizing up of the muscle that comes from the force produced and the angle of the legs and happens ONLY on the bench.

Personally, I just play around with my foot position to get into something that doesn't put me in the same spot. Usually helps. Not correlated to any other classic "cramp" issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zach_the_jew View Post
    Rip + OP if this is the same as the issue I occasionally experience it's not a classic "cramp" but a seizing up of the muscle that comes from the force produced and the angle of the legs and happens ONLY on the bench.

Personally, I just play around with my foot position to get into something that doesn't put me in the same spot. Usually helps. Not correlated to any other classic "cramp" issue.
    Try benching before squatting or deadlifting. I have the same issue (but in my butt) if I deadlift prior to benching.

I've had this issue in the past. No cramps anywhere except the damned bench press. Potassium daily, play with foot position, and make sure you're squeezing your abdominals hard/bracing like you do with the other lifts. A strong brace counters the lift created by squeezing the hams, glutes, and quads. Without that counter the muscle can shorten more than you might want it to and....CRAMP!

That's been my experience.