starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I am getting what feels like hip flexor tweaks and pain in my right knee for months now.

I've tweaked first the left, then the right, now the left again about 5 months later. It happened during volume day on the TM during a 5x5 at 165kg.

I had hit this weight before and plateaued at 167.5, so was working back up to it. I think I triggered it in the 3rd or 4th set, exhaustion caused me to let me knees cave and they sort of went in then I whipped them back real hard.

180 kg squat 3 reps. - YouTube

I've only ever filmed heavy day so I can only show you a triple at 180kg. I am currently working back up in weight so I can't shown you a 5x5 where I'm truly taxed.

I read through the 'before you post' so I realise this video may not be ideal but if you y'all could help me out I'd be real grateful.

Cheers,
    James

You are a strong dude, but there is absolutely no way you can feel stable squatting in tennis shoes -- especially on those ribbed stall mats!! You really need a flat surface to push from. In the later reps your can see your heels get 'light' as you push your toes push awkwardly into the squish of the shoe, into the squish of the shoe into the ribbed stall mat. As far as the pain goes, if it really is just a 'tweak', then lower the weight to where it doesn't hurt and build back up, tweaks won't last forever.

Hmm I have considered squat shoes but I already have orthotics in my trainers for collapsed arch which create a slight heel and thought squat shoes might make too much of a heel of that makes sense. Is there anything technique wise you can see that could be causing these tweaks? I wondered if it was my knees caving and then me having to force them back out that might have done it. I suppose soft shoes aren't helping me with that either.

Right, you do have some knee cave. A side angle would confirm whether or not knees are also sliding forward at the bottom

Toe angle is too far out. Bring it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman1 View Post
    Hmm I have considered squat shoes but I already have orthotics in my trainers for collapsed arch which create a slight heel and thought squat shoes might make too much of a heel of that makes sense. Is there anything technique wise you can see that could be causing these tweaks? I wondered if it was my knees caving and then me having to force them back out that might have done it. I suppose soft shoes aren't helping me with that either.
    Hanuman,

Speaking from experience with really messed up and deformed feet....

I wear orthotics. They have worked just fine in squat shoes. Get some
    proper weightlifting shoes. They make an enormous difference in maintaining
    stability in heavy lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Murrie, I'll definitely get some next paycheck!