starting strength gym

Thread: Form check (Squat, OHP, Deadlift)

Default Form check (Squat, OHP, Deadlift)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Trying to fix my squat, my knees were sliding a lot. Yesterday I tried moving my hips further back and keeping more of a horizontal back angle, while trying to freeze my knees. I am seeing some improvement, but the load still goes to my knees a bit, at which point I struggle, then move back a bit so the bar is over the midfoot and then finish the rep. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Squat 112.5 kg:
    Set 1 - clearly the worst one, focused more during 2nd and 3rd set.
    Set 2 - best one
    Set 3 - last rep regressing to the bar path from before
    Before trying to fix it, most of my reps at max weight would look like rep 4 of this set

OHP 46 kg:
    Set 1
    Set 2
    Set 3
    I will try to get a video from a better angle next time.

Deadlift 150 kg

Deadlift: shove your knees out into the inside of your elbows and drop your gut down between your thighs, then take a big, deep breath and Lift Your Chest with your arms in tension. That should get your back into proper extension before the lift.

Press: take a big deep breath, squeeze your abs, quads, and glutes, and thrust your hips forward like you are doing the nasty. This will make the bar "bounce" off your shoulders. This is supposed to be an explosive exercise.

Squat: pretty good except take a big deep breath to stabilize your whole body (this applies to all of your lifts)

I thought I already applied all of the things you mentioned, but I guess I only thought.
    Will try to get my back into proper extension.
    I guess I didn't really consider the press an explosive exercise, have to reread the chapter. One thing I notice in my sets is that the starting position differs between first rep and the subsequent ones - after lowering down the barbell instead of standing up straight I lean into my hips, which then causes the barbell to go further behind my back during a rep.
    I'm not sure about my squat being pretty good, since I often end up leaning forward, which causes my speed to plummet and I begin to continue the rep only after leaning backwards to move the bar above the midfoot. I guess I will try to stay in the hips more and focus on bracing which you mentioned.
    Thanks.

Press: It's ok if you have to reset your hips between reps. In fact, you have to make sure they are back so you can drive them forward again.

Squat: When you take your deep breath make sure you lift your chest. This makes your upper back straight instead of rounded, which could be what causes you to tilt forward at the bottom.

You are not leaning over when you squat as much as you think you are. You are also not staying leaned over, which is why your knees are moving, especially after the turn around.

Look at your grip and upper back. Get your head in between your shoulders at the top.