starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have started intermediate programming and would like some feedback on my squat form. Video angle is not optimal, but hopefully good enough. I also recorded from the front and noticed that my knees cave in. Is this happening because I don't hold my knees out or is there an issue with my stance/feet angle?
    squat @ 124 kg - YouTube
    squat front view - YouTube

They don't look terrible, but no chance anyone can tell you about your knee angle based on the video angle/quality/zoom. Assuming your knees are in the correct position over your ankles, i would concentrate on setting your knee position faster -- they have a long slow slide into place at the bottom. You accomplish this by bending over a little bit more, and pushing your hips back a little bit more -- and sooner.

Back angle looks too vertical. Another cue in addition to the above poster's comments is to look down.

Thank you both. How does depth look?

Quote Originally Posted by pieza kake View Post
    Thank you both. How does depth look?
    Your depth is fine, but you are raising your chest at every rep. This only works because the weight is light (what the hell are you doing with intermediate programming at a 124 kg squat), as soon as you hit a heavier squat, you will start missing reps. Lean over more and stay in your hips all the way up, your chest will raise on its own once the hip drive is finished.

It’s not clear from this distance - check your stance width - it seems wide.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pieza kake View Post
    I have started intermediate programming and would like some feedback on my squat form. Video angle is not optimal, but hopefully good enough. I also recorded from the front and noticed that my knees cave in. Is this happening because I don't hold my knees out or is there an issue with my stance/feet angle?
    squat @ 124 kg - YouTube
    squat front view - YouTube
    Get it over with faster, you're getting ready to lift 124kg as if it was 300kg. The whole set should be done in about 30", those look almost like tempo squats. Place your hands properly on the bar, with thumbs on top and narrow your stance by a couple inches (if it's too wide your knees will cave in), no need to emulate powerlifters.