starting strength gym

Thread: Another form check please

Default Another form check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    G'day all. Starting back into the NLP after an approx year hiatus due to life a couple shoulder surgeries.

Squat - 97.5kg
    I may be relying too much on the bounce at the bottom?
    Slow down my decent?
    Some knee slide?

Bench - 67.5kg
    Bench/press have always been my weakest lift. I hit a wall ~70kg and so i need significant help.
    Ass comes off the bench.
    If i arch quite a bit i can have the bar just touch my sternum without hitting the safety bars, though this equipment doesnt give me the complete depth needed.

Deadlift - 140kg
    Dropping my hips just before a i pull i think?

Clean- 70kg
    Again, when i hit around 70kg mark i seem to hit a wall.
    Need to get under the bar more/throw myself back more?

I have not filmed Press yet as the gym setup doesn't let me film from the front quarter. This is at 50kg.

Looking forward to any advice, thanks.

Have you read the blue book? Doesn't look like it.

Here are a few pointers for the squat: elbows too high (coupled with generally loose upper back musculature), slamming into the bottom (coupled with knee slide), rushing in general.

DL - re-read the five step process, slow down the setup, get tight before the pull and don’t exaggerate the lockout (just stand up at the top - don’t do an exaggerated lean back).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you read the blue book? Doesn't look like it.
    Yes Sir, over a year when i first started the NLP but re-reading today, & in my haste tocommencing training again ive realised cruical items from the blue book.

I will correct this and come back to you.

The "bounce" you are seeing/experiencing at the bottom is not a correctly applied stretch reflex. You are in fact going *past* the bottom of a low bar squat, such that the hamstrings and adductors move past their maximum extension and begin to shorten again. You will note that you are experiencing a sharp increase in *downward* speed at the bottom. Some of this "bounce" does get reapplied upwards, not as transmitted through fully extended hamstrings and adductors, but rather as elastic energy stored in calf muscles as your thighs accelerate into them, and the knee ligaments as your knee angle reaches it's anatomical minimum.

I guess I'll weigh in on the bench press. Slow down your setup. Make sure your grip is wide enough - your forearms should be vertical at the bottom of the lift. Keep your ass on the bench, no matter what. If you have to deload the weight, then so be it. Be patient. Progress will come with good, consistent form.

Thank you all for feedback.

All your lifts are really frantic. Slow down. Repeating what has already been said, don't bounce off your knees in the squat. Don't drop your hips on the deadlift. Fix your grip width on the bench, keep your ass glued to the bench. Are the safeties not adjustable? If not, get someone to spot you so you can do the movement correctly. Power clean, your elbows are bent before you even get to the jump position.Screenshot 2023-05-19 084719.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    All your lifts are really frantic. Slow down. Repeating what has already been said, don't bounce off your knees in the squat. Don't drop your hips on the deadlift. Fix your grip width on the bench, keep your ass glued to the bench. Are the safeties not adjustable? If not, get someone to spot you so you can do the movement correctly. Power clean, your elbows are bent before you even get to the jump position.Screenshot 2023-05-19 084719.jpg
    Yes, rotate the elbows outward to lock them all the way up. They’ll unlock themselves at the top.

Also stay out in front of the bar longer off the floor.

As Matt writes, you can and should slow this down for a predictable touch and jump point on your thighs. I don’t know if this is good advice, but a more aggressive touch point is a better cue for my jump. For me it is more of a scrape and scoop into the thigh at the touch point, while keeping my chest out over the bar per above.

Beware, I am old, clean only very light weights, and have had trouble with clean technique until recently, in what I think is a breakthrough. I intend to have this verified by an SSC eventually.

starting strength coach development program
    Read the book, it is a good book. It changed my life.