starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat 410x5 - YouTube
    Posting a topset of 410x5. I've been practicing with a TUBOW to correct knee slide and think I'm making progress there. Lately I have found knees and hips shooting back on the ascent, particularly at the end of a heavy set. Thanks for the review.

If you can do all 5 reps at the same back angle you show on the ascent of 4 and 5, you will stronger hip drive. Stop trying to stay vertical like a suit-and-wraps-6"-above-parallel powerlifter.

I'm trying to get bent over, just bad at it. Are my knees too far forward? Will a more horizontal back angle require further limiting forward knee travel in order to maintain balance over the mid foot?

While it's possible the ascent is the problem, "knees and hips shooting back" means your knees and hips were probably too far forward on the way down, and should be where they "shoot back" to *already*. Your body tends to arrange itself correctly, whether you want it to or not, on the way up, when the weight is being resisted.

To get a more horizontal back angle, yes, you will need to keep a more closed knee angle, which will minimize forward knee travel. But that will happen without you thinking about it if you focus on angle your torso downward.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    To get a more horizontal back angle, yes, you will need to keep a more closed knee angle, which will minimize forward knee travel.
    Open. Not closed.

Oops, misspoke. Yes, more open

Squat 290x5 with TUBOW - YouTube

Modified the TUBOW to keep my knees slightly (3/4") behind my toes. Does the back angle look any better?

starting strength coach development program
    ! and 2 led with your chest, 3, 4, and 5 were good.