starting strength gym

Thread: Box Squat Form Check

Default Box Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6'4" 235 lb male, 43 years old. Last year on a heavy-light-medium program I pissed off my patellar tendon on my left leg when getting my heavy day squat from 310x5x3 to 355x5x3 (just missed the last rep on 360). When I got to 345, I started doing a 5/3/1 cycle on the heavy day, as described in The Barbell Prescription. The problem was that I had a little knee slide in my right knee and a lot in the left knee. I also had some asymmetry due to leading with my right hip more out of the bottom. I didn't know all of this until I started box squatting of watching the recordings from the left and right sides regularly.

For several months now I switched over to 3x5 on a heavy-light-medium program with the box squat starting at 275. I've worked up to 315, but my tendonitis is still lingering. It feels great when I leave the gym and I think I have fixed the form issues. The tibialis anterior muscle can be especially sore on my left leg, since it has had to work a lot more holding the knee position, which is fine. I also can have a little soreness in something that my left knee cap is covering, but it is minor and goes away after a day or two. I think that my tendonitis is lingering because I need to be much more careful about getting up out of a chair, the car, the toilet, etc. Also, I do some farming at my church and if I take a knee I really piss off that patellar tendon on the left leg. All of these things that I do throughout the day I need to be much more careful about getting up leading with the hips.

Since I am at pretty close the point where I would need to do 5/3/1 cycling on the heavy day with the box squat to be able to progress I want to make sure that there are no form issues, that will cause further problems. This is third set of five at 315.

Squat 3rd set of 5 at 315 6-5-23 - YouTube

You need about 10 more degrees of back angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You need about 10 more degrees of back angle.
    So I just need to aim to sit back another inch or two when I touch the box, which will force me to bend over a slight bit more to keep the bar over the center of mass. I will do that. Thank you.