starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    It is my first time load 140 KG on the bar, would love to know what you think about my form.

Kind regards,
    Raz Roze B.S

You are not getting to the proper depth each time. Also your back is too vertical and it is killing your hip drive.

Most of these are high. A few are right on the line at best. You are also caving in your knees a bit. Same fix: Push the knees out for depth, and keep them that way.

It might help to pick a point on the deck to focus on - I see you shifting your gaze up a bit on the ascent, with chest lift following. You tend to move it back down, which is good, but better to keep it locked in throughout.

More experienced folks help me out here - it looks like RR is doing a good job setting his low back. Am I seeing this correctly?

A couple of minor points on the Valsalva: First, hold it at your glottis, not in your mouth. You should be able to open up your lips throughout. Second, try to stop your ascent, pause, THEN release the held breath. It seems like you're exhaling at the top a bit early. It's natural to do, but you want to make sure you don't release it before fully completing the rep, as you want the stability all the way through.

A slightly narrower stance may help with depth. Move the heels in a half inch each to start and go from there.

Back angle needs to be established from the top.

Thank you!
    Tomorrow I’ll try to achieve proper depth with the same weight on the bar.
    I’ll update tomorrow with new videos of the working sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    More experienced folks help me out here - it looks like RR is doing a good job setting his low back. Am I seeing this correctly?
    I agree that Raz is holding back extension well. He just needs to hit depth and shoving the knees out should help, like you said.

I've reminded myself to shoving my knees out hard before each repetition, my seconde working set looked like my last session's set (not deep enogh) and last working set I didn't push play so no videos
    Trying also to keep my chin down and hold breath correctly I guess it is take few workouts to get rid of old patterns so i am going to stay at the same weight in the squat until technice improved.
    Here is the video for the squat's first working set from today's session:

Kind Regards,
    Raz Roze B.S

Trying to learn here, not argue. How far off is he?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Raz Roze Ben Shabat View Post
    I've reminded myself to shoving my knees out hard before each repetition, my seconde working set looked like my last session's set (not deep enogh) and last working set I didn't push play so no videos
    Trying also to keep my chin down and hold breath correctly I guess it is take few workouts to get rid of old patterns so i am going to stay at the same weight in the squat until technice improved.
    Here is the video for the squat's first working set from today's session
    Depth is good here. Look at your last rep -- see it slow down about half-way up? Can you see why that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by jwbucha View Post
    Trying to learn here, not argue. How far off is he?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    How far off is who?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How far off is who?
    Raz, the guy that posted the first video. Several people are calling his depth high. The imgur link I posted is a still image of him at the bottom. I was asking how high he really was. Sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast