starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check @ 225

Default Squat Form Check @ 225

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all!

Checking in at 225 which is a milestone for me.

186 lbs (from 170 in December)
    -17 Celicius

I work in a narrow garage so I have to put a bit of a wide angle on the camera lens to capture everything, hope it's enough to see what you need to see. Apologies for the second set, the camera wasn't set right.

Set 1
    Set 2
    Set 3

Cheers,
    Nic

Do not post above-parallel squats on these forums.

Are we talking about all of my reps here? Last time I was told I went too deep on some of them. I can see how maybe a few aren't deep enough, but aren't we aiming for the crease of the hip below the patella?

Looking forward to seeing what else people have to say on these.

They are high. And if you cannot clearly see the depth, don't post the video.

They're too high because your stance is too wide.

A high squat isn't a squat, so anything we say before you fix depth isn't going to apply to these after you squat correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by lolnickybobby View Post
    Are we talking about all of my reps here? Last time I was told I went too deep on some of them. I can see how maybe a few aren't deep enough, but aren't we aiming for the crease of the hip below the patella?

Looking forward to seeing what else people have to say on these.
    Even before you squatted i suspected they would be high. Your stance is too wide for one, bring your heels in and point your toes out more.

OK thanks. It's a narrow garage which causes a challenging filming situation, but I'll find a better way.

You don't look down, you don't lean over. I don't know if the bar is too high or not but it's like you're doing a weird high bar squat.

I think your grip is too wide.

I think your stance is also too wide but maybe it's just your feet aren't turned out much.

And from a person who was squatting high you are now squatting high. It's like everything mentioned to you by random people in your last post was applied by you but in an incorrect and overdone way.

I think there are 3 options for you.
    1. Reread the book. And watch everything. I don't think this will work for you as you can't tell they are high from a video.

2. Get some coaching. If you can find it or afford online just do it. It's the best way.

3. My personal favourite and the way that worked for me. Break your own leg then after you can finally work again start trying to just squat bodyweight down to a chair at the correct depth. Then move forward and upward and figure out how to take the chair away and still make depth. Then film every set for weeks to ensure you're not regressing.

You should just be grateful that Rip didn't tell you that you're too small as well like me.

Sorry man, these are high. If you narrow your stance, then you'll be able to shove your knees out (keeping them in line with your outwardly-pointed toes) and probably hit depth on your first try.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    They're too high because your stance is too wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Even before you squatted i suspected they would be high. Your stance is too wide for one, bring your heels in and point your toes out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Sorry man, these are high. If you narrow your stance, then you'll be able to shove your knees out (keeping them in line with your outwardly-pointed toes) and probably hit depth on your first try.
    This is super helpful, thank you very much. Step 1 will be to narrow my stance then. And to be honest with you all, when I first watched the videos I suspected it may be too wide but didn't want to bring it up so as to not influence replies (as if you guys wouldn't have noticed anyways). Will refer to the blue book and watch a couple TY videos and try again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuchi23 View Post

I think there are 3 options for you.
    1. Reread the book. And watch everything. I don't think this will work for you as you can't tell they are high from a video.

2. Get some coaching. If you can find it or afford online just do it. It's the best way.

3. My personal favourite and the way that worked for me. Break your own leg then after you can finally work again start trying to just squat bodyweight down to a chair at the correct depth. Then move forward and upward and figure out how to take the chair away and still make depth. Then film every set for weeks to ensure you're not regressing.
    I will re-examine the book and yes, it will work for me. If not I'll get coaching. Your third option I'll consider as a last resort only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuchi23 View Post
    You should just be grateful that Rip didn't tell you that you're too small as well like me.
    I'll have to check my manual, but I think in the hierarchy of Rip slights, being told you are too small is higher than one liners with no elaboration (i.e., not being worth his time).