starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form question and general question about squatting

Default Squat form question and general question about squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Okay so my squat is starting to get closer to my body weight and I’m starting to get an issue with my left shoulder. It’s nothing too serious that will stop me from lifting but I feel like if I don’t address it now it will eventually. It’s a dull ache on the front side of my left shoulder. I believe there could be two causes for it. 1 being I pull down really hard on the bar during the way up on the squat. 2 being if I’m not pulling down on the bar I’m raising my shoulders up super high during the ascent. I don’t really know why it’s the left shoulder, I guess it could be weaker/ less coordinated. I don’t have any recent videos of me squatting but there are some from the last few weeks on my account. Second question, Is squatting supposed to get this damn hard?? Now that my squat is closer to my weight (not including fat and water) it’s got to where my 3rd rep feels like the 5th rep used to feel. I feel like all my evolutionary instincts are screaming at me to stop at the 3rd rep. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying I’m going to quit but I’m starting to get nervous before squatting. Maybe I’m just being a pus idk. Thinking about staying at the same weight till the shoulder situation gets figured out. Appreciate responses.

Age 17
    Weight 230lbs
    Height 6’4/193cm
    Starting numbers- squat 95/deadlift135/bench 95/ohp 55
    Current numbers- squat 205/deadlift 275/bench 150/OHP 105

Video?

This video is from Friday, sorry for not posting it in the first post wasnt on my computer forgot it was on my phone. You can see my left elbow looks like its vibrating on the last two reps which is from me pulling down on the bar. Also the 5th rep on this set is what the 3rd or 4th rep is starting to look like now. Is that good or bad?
    Squat form check - YouTube

Looking at your older squat videos, the problem is your elbows are not in far enough. You are keeping the bar up with shoulder extension, rather than contracted delts. From the side, your elbows should not be "sticking back", away from your torso, but packed in tight. Think about pointing your elbows at your tailbone. This explains the loose upper back that rip noted. You look like you have long forearms, so you will have to move your elbows in tight, with vertical humeri, and have your hands be relatively far apart on the bar with angled forearms (think \||/, instead of \/\/). Make sure that the bar is sitting on the heel of your hand: you want it to be compressive forces along the forearm and deltoid holding the bar up, not torque through the elbow and shoulder joints. Make that change and get us a fresh video. Make the scheduled increase.

It's normal to get scared as the weight gets heavier. You'll get over it. You got old men on this board a foot shorter than you comfortably getting under 400 pounds, so just think of that if you ever doubt you can do it. A 230 lb squat hasn't ever hurt anyone in your demographic (at least, anyone who was worth giving advice to).

Side note: 6'4" is pretty tall, and from what I see in your videos you probably do need to be thinking about 250 lbs.

Thanks for the advice! didnt get any shoulder pain this session and elbows felt normal. Back felt way more stable. Although I have a new problem being I failed my third squat set. I dont really know why to be honest. Gonna push the calories up to 4000 instead of 3500. 3500 took me from 200lbs to 228lbs but my weight gain is slowing back down. Pretty frustrating failing this early but Im not gonna be one of the people who blame it all on the program, I know the program works and that rip knows what hes talking about. so Im gonna stick to it and see what happens. Here are todays sets,
    Set 1 February 21, 2024 - YouTube This set my back got loose because I wasnt mentally cueing to pull my elbows and shoulders down and back as hard, tried to fix it on the second set which was better.

Set 2 February 21, 2024 - YouTube
    I notice my elbows are still out, but I could tell a lot more of the weight was on my back and rear delts, and my shoulders felt fine so I was doing something right.

Set 3 February 21, 2024 - YouTube Watched this back after and noticed I didnt really give the rep that much time lol, retried off camera, same thing, second rep couldnt get out of the hole, tried to give it a good 3-4 seconds didnt go up. I noticed this session I just felt really fatigued in the legs. I could feel my legs shaking just getting under the bar to unrack it. Im resting 8 mins between sets, sleep hasnt been great this week but not horrific. Eating 3400-3500 calories a day all week. Honestly I got frustrated and quit the whole session after failing, wasnt going to attempt deadlifting after how fatigued I felt. Im also starting to think about going back down to 185 on the squat and working back up. Just feel like its hard to focus on my form at the current weight because it feels so heavy. My brain just really wants to get the set over with.

Guess Im gonna force down some extra beef and rice and report back in next week.

Once again thanks for taking the time to give me advice, really do appreciate it.

Your stance is too wide.

starting strength coach development program
    You spend a lot of time not squatting during your sets. Get one big breath at the top, brace hard and go down. Hanging out with weight on your shoulders and shifting your feet isn't going to help any. I also agree that your stance is slightly wide.