starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, I'm 31 years old, 183cm, 84kg. I'm a beginner and I've been squatting for 3-4 months now. I failed two times at 90kg, at the 2nd fail, I felt pain on my left hip (especially when I try to squat, or try to bend my torso to pick something up), and then stopped squatting for like 1 month. It feels better now, so I wanted to start squatting again. I climbed my way from 60kg to 85kg by adding weight, but I failed again. I don't feel strong anymore, I just don't seem to break my plateau, even though I don't wanna stop squatting, I loved it so far.

This is 75kg, my 1st set. Sorry for the angle, I hope it's clear. I'd appreciate any advice and comment. Thank you.

Squat form check 75kg - YouTube

Standard deal, back too vertical, not enough hip drive.

Noted Rip, thank you! I'll work on it by reading the book and watching your videos again.

Could you please comment on my injury also? I still feel a little hip pain while squatting. Should I just power through and continuously deload everytime I fail only to climb my way back up or just stop squatting for a while?

You are squatting incorrectly, so fix that and the hip will probably get better.

You have to do your squats.

"Pain in your hip" is rather nonspecific. It might clear up as you fix your form, but it might be bone cancer, since both of those things are consistent with that symptom. I would tend to just train through it, since any serious injury would tend to grant you greater poetic vigor in describing it.

You don't need to deload every time you miss a rep. Just repeat the weight and focus more on recovery.

To the recovery point, gain thirty pounds by the time you finish reading this sentence. Seriously, do people think Rip is kidding about this part?

Thank you for the answer.

Let me elaborate more what I meant by pain in my hip. It's basically my left hip. Walking, jumping, running feel alright. The pain occurs for example at the top position of hip thrust, or when I bend over with a narrow stance, or the bottom position of squat etc.

I was thinking to give it a rest and start squatting after the pain is totally gone. Now that you said I should keep squatting, I think I'll give it a try.

I don't know whether I have muscle or bone issue, but any advice on what I should do to make it better would be appreciated, thank you!

How can we tell you how to make it better when neither you nor us actually know what is wrong?

No you're right I know, what I ask is basically looking for a needle in a haystack.

I just thought maybe you guys coached someone with a similar issue and could give me a hint on what's wrong.

Anyway, I'll keep squatting and hope to feel better in time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by serv View Post
    The pain occurs for example at the top position of hip thrust, or when I bend over with a narrow stance, or the bottom position of squat etc.
    You realize that you described three completely different positions, right? Like this is a very foggy picture because those three positions don't have very much in common, especially from the point of view of the hip.

If you're looking for a diagnosis on this board, it ks straight up out of the question. Pain is an idiosyncratic experience, and people, especially those without a thorough knowledge of anatomy, are in general just *bad* at describing what feels wrong, and it gets worse the more complicated the anatomy in question is. Simple things, like the elbow, are relatively easy to figure out: if someone says "the outside of my elbow hurts" it's probably lateral epicondylitis, because there pretty much isn't anything else there that COULD hurt. But if someone says "my shoulder hurts"? Forget it. There's like fifteen things that it could be, even if they offer such helpful descriptors as "it hurts towards the front" or "when I go like this."

Physical therapists and similarly trained professionals can do this, provided they actually have access to you. They can poke you and prod you and move the joint around and figure out what, specific bit of anatomy hurts, and failing that they can get an MRI and actually look at what's going on. But this forum is full of people coming with complaints like "my shoulder hurts" hoping that their description will somehow remind someone of a pain they experienced, and without fail, it never does. Your pain is your pain, and is unlikely to resemble someone else's, even if it's cause is the same.

However, even if you get a diagnosis, if the only symptom is *pain*, then you're not going to like what you hear. "A little pain" is not an injury. An injury is something breaking. Something is not doing it's mechanical function, which is making moving physically in a certain way impossible. You haven't describing anything not working, you've described something being slightly uncomfortable. A physical therapist is very likely to diagnose you with something ending in -itis or -opathy, which are basically diagnosing you with your symptoms. Your hip hurts a little. Sometimes they do that.

This is all a perhaps overthorough way of impressing on you that, at least from this far removed vantage point, you are experiencing one of the many minor aches and pains associated with training. You haven't actually observed how the pain responds to or impacts training, because you keep deloading the movement, and it does not sound like it is impacting your day to day functioning. In all likelihood, and especially if you begin eating correctly (seriously man you gotta be weighing more than this after 4 months), this will just go away as mysteriously as it arrived. Maybe not. Maybe you have bone cancer. But I would bet you don't.