starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my deadlift form. I've been training for several years now on and off and never was able to do a deadlift heavier then 150kg for 1 rep. At the start of this year I decided to start over again doing NLP and work on my form, and now at 135kg. I'm still reading through the Starting Strength book, but was wondering if anyone could tell if I've done anything absurdley wrong? Given now I've missed 135kg two sessions in a row now. First sesson I was able to do 135kgx3, then next session was only able to do 135kgx1.

Also a specific question: In the Starting Strength method for deadlifting we are taught to reach for the bar stiff-legged, letting our back bend as we reach for it, then at the end, we force our back into thoracic and lumbar extension. My question is, is there anything wrong with maintaining thoracic and lumbar extension as we reach for the bar while pushing our hips back, instead of letting the back bend as we reach for the bar? The latter is what I have been doing for a long time, up until I read the Starting Strength method, because I feel safer knowing my back is definitely in extension, but was wondering if it makes the deadlift worse?

Video 1: Deadlift Form Check - 130kg/286lb - BW @ 90kg/200lb - YouTube (showing old way of setting up)

Video 2: Deadlift Form Check - 135kg/297lb - BW @ 90kg/200lb - YouTube (current, failed set of 5)

Thanks for any help

Might be time for a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Might be time for a belt.
    Okay will look into those. Just to understand your advice, are you saying get a belt because you think my deadlifts maybe failing now due to not bracing hard enough? Also were there any other form issues?

I forgot to mention that I'm still deadlifting 3x times a week adding 2.5kg each time. So maybe fatigue plays a role? Was wondering if I should finally start alternating with power cleans?

A couple of thoughts on your missed rep at the end there:

First, why did you give up so quickly?

Second, it looks to me like you were trying to straighten up your torso immediately, instead of focusing on straightening the knees/leg pressing the floor down. We colloquially call the deadlift a pull, but the initiating movement is much better understood as a push.

Letting your back be in slightly flexion is not "unsafe", so you don't need to worry about that.

Bending over with your back in extension risks not actually closing your hip angle sufficiently, especially if you are svelte. Extending the back as a separate step closes the hip angle without moving the arms. If your diagnostic criteria for "sufficiently closed hip angle" is "I can reach the bar", then you don't know that you have fully closed it by extending the back. I would bet you could achieve a position that fulfills this criteria with your knees *touching*, which is a no go for several reasons.

You will also have to move your hips after you have bent over, to bring your shins in contact with the bar, which risks pulling your carefully maintained back OUT of extension (since the hamstrings have to contract afresh to close the knee). It also risks causing you to misestimated your mid foot position, since you may have to have the bar slightly forward of mid foot to move your shins without further closing your hip angle. Maybe not, but doesn't seem worth the risk.

For what it's worth, the failed set looks fine: you are doing a fine job keeping your back in extension. What kills you is the waiting between reps. I know it is tempting, but long rests between reps on a deadlift (which does not have an eccentric component to potentiate the muscles) will let your body think you are done deadlifting. This would have been completed if you did the second rep right after the first. And with a belt.

Your elbows are bent when you pull. They arenít when youíre setting up.

Also seems like you gave up pretty quickly on that failed rep. Not sure if this has something to do with the bent elbows.

Age/height/bodyweight?

Get a 3 inch wide belt. Do not get a 4 inch belt. I repeat do not get a 4 inch belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    A couple of thoughts on your missed rep at the end there:

First, why did you give up so quickly?

Second, it looks to me like you were trying to straighten up your torso immediately, instead of focusing on straightening the knees/leg pressing the floor down. We colloquially call the deadlift a pull, but the initiating movement is much better understood as a push.
    I suppose just because I couldnt feel it moving at all. Although I am aware the recommedation is to keep trying for awhile.

As to your second point, I wasnt aware that I was focusing on straightening to torso immediately. When im at the bottom i just predominately feel my glutes and hamstrings contracting. Ill make those changes and see how it goes. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Letting your back be in slightly flexion is not "unsafe", so you don't need to worry about that.

Bending over with your back in extension risks not actually closing your hip angle sufficiently, especially if you are svelte. Extending the back as a separate step closes the hip angle without moving the arms. If your diagnostic criteria for "sufficiently closed hip angle" is "I can reach the bar", then you don't know that you have fully closed it by extending the back. I would bet you could achieve a position that fulfills this criteria with your knees *touching*, which is a no go for several reasons.

You will also have to move your hips after you have bent over, to bring your shins in contact with the bar, which risks pulling your carefully maintained back OUT of extension (since the hamstrings have to contract afresh to close the knee). It also risks causing you to misestimated your mid foot position, since you may have to have the bar slightly forward of mid foot to move your shins without further closing your hip angle. Maybe not, but doesn't seem worth the risk.

For what it's worth, the failed set looks fine: you are doing a fine job keeping your back in extension. What kills you is the waiting between reps. I know it is tempting, but long rests between reps on a deadlift (which does not have an eccentric component to potentiate the muscles) will let your body think you are done deadlifting. This would have been completed if you did the second rep right after the first. And with a belt.
    Regarding your first point, wouldn't my hip angle be already closed to the necessary degree since my back is already in extension with arms touching the bar? You said that I could possibly close my hip angle more if I extended my back, but wouldnt that put me in hyperextension then?
    I was having trouble picturing what you were saying so apologises if I misinterpreted your point, correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Age/height/bodyweight?
    24 years old, 183cm/6 foot, 90kg. Also not sure if this is relevant but I also train jiu jitsu 3-5x a week. And working up to running 3x times a week to prepare for a half marathon.

starting strength coach development program
    Let's just wait until you're through with your running to deal with this. Nothing is going to fix this until then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast