starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I still struggle setting my lower back, I just can't set a straight lower back.
    Any comment on any possible issues of my form would be appreciated. Thank you.

140kg deadlift @83kg BW - form check - YouTube

It's either your 4" belt or your man-bun. Look up Nick's video about setting the lower back, just in case I'm wrong.

I sure will, thank you.
    I've seen many guys saying that a little curve in the lower back is okay unless it curves more as the lift goes on.

I don't know if I'm in that category but, in my case, is it okay continuing to lift like this?
    Would you say it's dangerous and I will eventually hurt my back if I go on like this?

1. It's both. The difference between the 4 inch and 3 inch belt for me has been significant to say the least.

2. You missed the last 4 reps.

3. Is this the same problem as the deadlift video you put up at 107.5kg or different?

Hi Martin, I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as before.

So far what I've done:

-got a lifting shoe : even though not suggested for deadlift, feels better somehow for me, I suppose as it helps lifting up my hips and eventually helps for a better lower back
    -trying really think about "shove your belly between your thighs" approach : works for me, my lower back was in a worse condition before, now it feels better and tighter
    -read the deadlift section of blue book : after that I realized I was pushing the bar a little further while transitioning from step3 to step4, now I try to be more careful about that

However, I still see a little softening as the pull starts.
    It doesn't severely curves to higher degrees I guess, but still makes me wonder if I could do better for my form, and eventually for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by serv View Post
    Hi Martin, I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as before.

So far what I've done:

-got a lifting shoe : even though not suggested for deadlift, feels better somehow for me, I suppose as it helps lifting up my hips and eventually helps for a better lower back
    How is it possible that you have absorbed this from this website?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How is it possible that you have absorbed this from this website?
    You have the patience of Job.

I don't know how you do it month after year after decade. I wouldn't last an afternoon.

Wow, okay.

Rip, I'm new to your method, trying to get into it by reading your book and watching your videos. The thing I wrote was not quoted or observed from your book or website or whatever, if that offended you, sorry. I have nothing but respect for you, that's why I'm seeking help from you and your fellows for a better lifting form.

Cascadian, sir, that's totally unnecessary. I'm new to this, and trying my best to catch up. I do not believe that a newbie asking a question or stating a wrong thing would require a lot of patience, but just a small correction, at least not for mentally healthy, experienced, wise people, such as Rip. It might be an obvious thing for anyone who hangs out in ss community but it is also possible that I accidentally missed that information. So I think it's better not behave like that, so not to dishearten new guys like me to post or state something even out of curiosity. You ask, you learn, you pass it on.

Thank you for the comments.

Wow, okay.

Rip, I'm new to your method, trying to get into it by reading your book and watching your videos. The thing I wrote was not quoted or observed from your book or website or whatever, if that offended you, sorry. I have nothing but respect for you, that's why I'm seeking help from you and your fellows for a better lifting form.
    I am not as easily offended as you apparently are.

Cascadian, sir, that's totally unnecessary. I'm new to this, and trying my best to catch up. I do not believe that a newbie asking a question or stating a wrong thing would require a lot of patience, but just a small correction, at least not for mentally healthy, experienced, wise people, such as Rip. It might be an obvious thing for anyone who hangs out in ss community but it is also possible that I accidentally missed that information. So I think it's better not behave like that, so not to dishearten new guys like me to post or state something even out of curiosity. You ask, you learn, you pass it on.
    Cascadian was not referring to A newbie, but rather hundreds of them over the years that will not read the material before they post their own question that has already been dealt with many times.

For example:

Shoes | Mark Rippetoe

Get Some Shoes | Mark Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    Wow, okay.

Thank you for the comments.
    If being the butt of that kinda humour causes you to be offended, rather than laugh along with the group, I don’t predict good things for your lifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast