starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_N3GtY5LQ

2nd set at 290 lb

This was my first time failing squats (3rd set only 4 reps), the bar is really starting to dig in, checking to make sure form is on point

issues I'm seeing:

- I didn't take a breath and reset between 1st and 2nd reps, bad habit from when the weight was lighter. I didn't do this on my 1st or 3rd set, but the first rep was the best of the day so I already was going for it before I realized. This did end up making the 2nd rep uglier than it needed to be

-I think my thoracic is losing extension which is causing bar roll, this was why I failed the 3rd set coming out of the bottom

would love some input if I need to work on anything else

This is a really bad camera angle: the rack is basically blocking all the points of interest.

You're losing both lumbar AND thoracic extension at the very bottom. Think of using your knees, and driving them out, to achieve depth, rather than allowing your pelvis to move. The back should not move at the bottom AT ALL.

A couple of things I see:

1) You're wiggling around too much in between reps - too much wasted motion and looseness. Keep it tight, get big air at the top, and go.

2) You're trying to get too upright too fast. Look at 1:23 That's more where you need to be, not where it is at, say, 0:33.

On that second point: Can you mount the hooks in that rack on the opposite side of the inside, so you're facing away from the mirror? That plus a chalk mark or a small plate or other focus point should help you hold proper back angle. Never look in the mirror on squats.

Appreciate the tips and feedback, I'll also see if I can get a less obstructed camera angle next time