starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been using the starting strength novice program for thr past 6 months. Recently switched to using the low bar position. Lifting 290lb, this is the final of 3 sets. Failed after 4.

Any general advice on technique would be greatly appreciated. Currently have no pain or anything like that and I'm still increasing the weight.

https://youtu.be/e31CeT5EFw0?si=qjjNmw8aM9oId0

Thanks,
    Rob

Do not post above-parallel squats on these forums.

Thanks for taking a look, I'll remove the post

Your first rep was the worst of the bunch -- you were not tight enough during or after the unrack. Look at the difference in your stance between the start of the first, and the start of the second -- after the second you are tight and ready to go. Your head is also moving quite a bit during the reps and this is not good -- it can be dangerous and is messing with your balance. Keep a neutral C-spine and your eyes fixed on the floor in front of you. You are also hyper-extending your thoracic spine on the way down in an effort to stay balanced and this is killing your hip drive. You are doing a good job shooting your hips back at the start, but you are not bending over enough. And for the love of God put some ear buds in -- how can you lift in total quiet?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Your first rep was the worst of the bunch -- you were not tight enough during or after the unrack. Look at the difference in your stance between the start of the first, and the start of the second -- after the second you are tight and ready to go. Your head is also moving quite a bit during the reps and this is not good -- it can be dangerous and is messing with your balance. Keep a neutral C-spine and your eyes fixed on the floor in front of you. You are also hyper-extending your thoracic spine on the way down in an effort to stay balanced and this is killing your hip drive. You are doing a good job shooting your hips back at the start, but you are not bending over enough. And for the love of God put some ear buds in -- how can you lift in total quiet?!?
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow. Just need to find some good music. After the first set of 5 I'm in a bit out of it anyways, not sure if I'd hear the music haha.