starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - trouble with depth + travelling bar

Default Squat form check - trouble with depth + travelling bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi folks,

6'2", 190lbs, 38yo newbie. Been reading the book and watching SS videos for a while finally starting my NLP and want to get my squat straight.

I've diagnosed some immediate issues but I'm having trouble hitting depth, and as you see in the side view, the bar travels forward in front of mid-foot when I get in the bottom. I've tried the "master cue" (pg59 of the blue book) and the other diagnosis seems to be that I need to focus more on shoving my knees out to help get to depth. That said, I don't have any local SS coaches so would appreciate some eyes on it in case there are issues obvious to the pros here.

Set 1 - back quarter view

Set 2 - side view

Set 3 - back view

Do not post above-parallel squats on these forums. Get your knees out, squat deeper, and gain 75 pounds of bodyweight immediately.

Thanks Rip. Fortunately I had an opportunity to work on the first two this morning, third will take a little longer. “Knees out” worked better than just telling myself to get deeper. How does it look?

https://youtu.be/khy9l7Ph8do

Can you not clearly see that 2-5 are above parallel? You cannot absolve yourself of your basic responsibility to look at the fucking video before you post it. If you don't know what Below Parallel looks like, read the book.

Thanks for the replies Rip and apologies for wasting your time on this one. I did watch the video back a few times but clearly my eye for depth is off. I will get back to it and come back when I’m confident I’ve got there.

An easy way to tell they are high for you is to look at your spotter arm and look at your thigh. The angle of your thigh does not hit the angle of the spotter which is most likely parallel to the ground, thus making your squats easily identifiable as high.

Another thing is that I think your feet are not turned out quite far enough. I'm no SSC but it may be useful to look at that.

Thanks Martin, sounds obvious when you say it but good tip. I read through the squat chapter again so will double check my stance, get a few workouts in where I’m feeling good then be back here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    An easy way to tell they are high for you is to look at your spotter arm and look at your thigh. The angle of your thigh does not hit the angle of the spotter which is most likely parallel to the ground, thus making your squats easily identifiable as high.
    Wow, Martin. That's really clever. Thanks.