starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Continuance: Lost 13 inches of bellyfat, 67lbs and learned to meditate

Default Lost 13 inches of bellyfat, 67lbs and learned to meditate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Lost 11 inches of belly fat and 46lbs.

Things at the gym have changed quite a bit in a little over a year. When I began the Starting Strength program I couldn't perform an un-weighted squat, and when my coach wasn’t there I would all but get run off of the equipment. It's been a while now since anyone has tried to give me unwanted advice or interfered with my workouts, even when training alone. Now, in between sets, I get asked about my program and lift technique.

After I answered a couple of her questions, a younger and overweight woman replied that what I was doing would not work for her. It would, of course, make her bigger and bulkier, and I could not possibly understand because I didn’t know what it was like to have a weight problem. She is smaller than I was when I first started training and her trying to skinny shame me was hard to wrap my head around. It is beginning to sink in; I am no longer the fat chick trying to do squats.

I used to meditate in a quiet room with candles and incense searching for calm and discipline. That was fine, and l cherish my quiet candled room. However calm focus is needed every day in life and life is seldom quiet. I meditate now when I am under the bar.

The harnessing of the mind and the body, breath held and all the noise in your head stops and the only thing that exists is you and the weight. In all my years working in the “Alternative Health Field” I have sought the mind body connection, the grounding, the centeredness, with only slight success. Now I am beginning to understand, beginning to understand why I lift, how simple life really is. All the candles in the world aren't going to teach you that type of focus and discipline.

I have noticed in my business dealings I am viewed differently, approached differently, and their opinion is much less important than before. I navigate there the same way I do in the weight room.

Several of my friends train with me now, all women. Others interest in what I simply saw as me getting healthy is humbling. 210lbs girls don't think people are interested in them working to lose their 'fish bowl' as my friend so lovingly calls hers.

62 weeks of strength training have flown by. My most recent program was the Texas Method and it saw me through my Great Grandmother’s fast decline, her death, and a car wreck. It also pushed me to my 1 rep squat PR of 225.

This is not where I saw this trip taking me. And why I decided to listen to that strong old guy is most days beyond me. I do know that now I am stronger than I have ever been. I dropped 13 inches off my waist and close to 5 inches off each thigh. I weigh 143 lbs., lighter than I have been since I was 12 years old.

Rarely am I asked how I got stronger. Much more often I am asked how I lost so much weight and kept it off. It doesn’t matter, the advice is the same. Buy the book and do what it says.
    Last edited by EverStronger; 09-24-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added link to the first testimony :)

Here! Here! Well done!

Congratulations. I, too, have found a meditative aspect to lifting where everything fades away and it's just you, the weight, and your breath. I've experimented with meditating immediately after lifting and found mentally that's an even easier place to drop into your breath and be still, calm.

Thanks for the update on your inspirational story. What are your goals going forward?

Brian Jones~
    (Curtsies) thank you very much��

Vanslix~
    It really is marvelous! I have not tried meditating directly after lifting due to my hunger usually getting the better of me. ��
    I have noticed the biggest difference in my ability to focus when there is a lot of distractions going on ( and or me this is huge lol)

though i receive the ss emails, i was never a forum member. but when i read your post, i immediately joined to say thank you for sharing. awesome story and best of luck in your journey.

I wanted to come bcak here and tell you something. John spoke about you this weekend at the SSC conference. I decided to come back and read through your amazing and dedicated testimony again. You have inspired me. I need to add another chapter to the Broke Legs story and that is taking off the fat I have accumulated while gaining strength and being undisciplined. Thank you. Thank you for giving me that push I needed; the encouragement of knowing that it can be done my ordinary people with extraordinary attitudes.

I am on this EverStronger! Thanks again . . .

B

Brian Jones~
    Your story is amazing and in comparison my struggles with being an over weight female pale in comparison. You are a kindred spirit Brian and I can't wait to read your chapter on weight loss I know it will be as incredible as the rest of your story. �� I am also looking forward to watching the video of you from the conference! I am honored by the thanks. You got this ��������
    HUGS

DavidCC-
    I am still working out my goals moving forward. I am diligently working towards becoming a SSC. This program has radically changed my life and I want to be able to help others on the same path to strength and health. As for my body goals I am going to hang at this weight for a while then drop my weight a bit more to target some of the fat I have left. My goal would then be on a dietary focus for putting back on those lbs in lean muscle tissue and driving up my strength gains ��

starting strength coach development program
    This is badass. You are badass. Thanks for posting this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast