starting strength gym

Thread: SS Seminar vs. others

Default SS Seminar vs. others

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently had access to a day long seminar from a couple of highly decorated "functional fitness" athletes. The topic was barbell training and i got it at no cost. I've been using the SS model for the last couple years, but was going into it with as open a mind as possible. I made it a goal to learn one thing.

Unfortunately, I only lasted the morning before tapping out. There was the 40 minute warm-up with no barbells in sight. There was the discussion with one of the coaches where I tried to understand how my hamstring flexibility was restricting my front-squats. There was the progression from the squat portion (front squat only) to the deadlift portion without a soul moving more than 45 lbs.

When I saw that the afternoon exercise selection for upper-body consisted of barbell rows and push-press I abandoned hope and disappeared.

The hardest thing about the seminar was trying to explain to others what I thought of it. It's hard to explain what high caliber coaching feels like. It's hard to impress upon them what it's like to get a lesson after the topic has been thoroughly analyzed, but delivered clearly and simply. How can I convey the difference between asking a coach a question and waiting for them to come up with an answer, vs. asking a coach a question and seeing that they are waiting for you to finish your thought so they can deliver a precise answer that they have thought about and delivered many times before?

I've seen lots of testimony that going from other certifications to a SS Seminar feels like a step up, but I haven't seen as many about going to other seminars after a SS Seminar. I'm happy I learned my lesson for free, and given a chance would gladly pony up for another look at the good stuff that is the SS Seminar.

Keep up the good work, and Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by murklurker View Post
    The hardest thing about the seminar was trying to explain to others what I thought of it. It's hard to explain what high caliber coaching feels like. It's hard to impress upon them what it's like to get a lesson after the topic has been thoroughly analyzed, but delivered clearly and simply. How can I convey the difference between asking a coach a question and waiting for them to come up with an answer, vs. asking a coach a question and seeing that they are waiting for you to finish your thought so they can deliver a precise answer that they have thought about and delivered many times before?
    It's not just the seminar. The first time I spent a session with an SSC I walked out realizing that all prior coaching I received up to that point was crap.