starting strength gym

Thread: The Program Works

Default The Program Works

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just wanted to offer my personal experience working with the Starting Strength novice program. When I set out I was driven by a desire to be a better version of myself. For me, it was not just the attainment of greater physical prowess, but the personal overhaul that would come from practicing discipline and dedication in sticking with a process that required continuous work and did not offer fast or easy results. I also want to thank Mark for the work he has done in his field of expertise as his words and knowledge contributed directly to my progress. I am now stronger than I have ever been before in my life and utterly floored about the possibilities that lay before me with this foundation of strength the program has helped me attain. The whole thing just worked for me. I work 40-60 hours a week and being able to come into the gym and get to the training with a real plan of attack has been an exceptional experience.

I initiated SS in the middle of May of this year.
    I will give my results in one rep maxes.

DL 365
    Squat 185
    Bench 155
    OHP 110

As of today, after 4 months of SS I am here:

DL 505
    Squat 405
    Bench 245
    OHP 190

I've had a few challenges and set backs due to not getting enough rest and not being able to stick with the program due to unrelated injuries and my recovering well because I work in a very physical job.

So thanks, to this community and to you few that still value strength as a virtue.

Looks like some great progress after just 4 months! I am just getting started on the NLP. Are you still going up in weight every workout?

I would also like to say how much I appreciate SS. Some background on me. I'm 45 and never had a strength coach. I used to "Work out" years ago, but never knew what I was doing. I stopped for years after hurting myself. Since then I ran a lot until the pounding - my weight is 250 - hurt my groin and pelvic floor. A few months back I started "working out" but again didn't know what the heck I was doing. About a month ago I found SS and Rippetoes no nonsense approach and the logic behind stress plus recovery equals adaption resonated well with me...Ive a long way to go, but in just under a month I've gone from ....DL 175 to DL 315, BS 175 to BS 255, OHP 95 to OHP 140, BP 155 to BP 195 ....As I said a long way to go, but I'm very pleased with the pace at which I'm progressing. Thank you very much SS- this has made a huge difference in the quality of my life.