starting strength gym

Thread: Testimonial, Mia Inman, SSC

Default Testimonial, Mia Inman, SSC

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My wife and I are 60 and 61, respectively. I have “exercised” with free weights for many years. I only recently discovered Starting Strength and it grieves me to think about all the time I wasted (using NSCA books, P90X, etc.) achieving very little in the way of progress even though I was VERY consistent with my workouts. I started doing the Starting Strength program at the beginning of the year and my wife started shortly thereafter. I read the books, watched the videos, and thought I was on track. Then I realized that I needed a Starting Strength coach to confirm that I was using the correct technique. I found Mia Inman, SSC at Embody Change in Yellow Springs, Ohio. After beginning training with Mia, I discovered two very important things. First, she is an excellent coach and her approach to coaching is specifically tailored to the trainee. Her approach with my wife is different from her approach with me and it needs to be. Second, a lot of what I thought I was doing correctly was being done incorrectly, setting me up for failure and/or injury as the weight went up. Yes, I videotaped myself but I was not accurately assessing my technique. I have made more progress in the last two months than I made in the previous two decades…no, really. A great deal of experience doing things incorrectly has very little value. My advice: If you live within an hour or two of Yellow Springs and want to do the Starting Strength Program, get coaching from Mia Inman, SCC at Embody Change.

Im actually going to see her within the next few weeks

You won't be disappointed. I try to get out there as often as I can. She always comes up with something to help my technique that I would never figure out on my own.

I have been working with Mia now for about 4 months and I highly recommend her as a SS coach. I ran my LP to its end after about 5 months on my own and once I had become thoroughly stuck I knew that I needed some expert help. There are not many SS coaches in Ohio but luckily people from the SS boards were able to point me in her direction as she is only an hour's drive away from Columbus. She has not only helped me to fine tune my technique for all my lifts but has also provided me with guidance and acted as a mentor as I have progressed from novice programming to a more intermediate style of training. She and I had a great session yesterday as it was the first time in a while that I truly felt like I had become stronger since becoming stuck on my own, she provided me with great encouragement and made me feel like my training was worthwhile. I felt compelled to write a review here afterwards, 5/5 stars for Mia, would highly recommend her to anyone!