starting strength gym

Thread: A trip to the doctors office

Default A trip to the doctors office

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    During a routine trip to my family practitioners office the other day my well meaning doctor noted I had gained 13 pounds since I last saw him 6 months ago. Although yes, I had gained a few pounds of fat, I advised him I had been doing Starting Strength, and at 57 years old I was by far the strongest I'd ever been in my life. He told me big weight lifters always die young, and I should be doing strictly cardio and stretching. I literally could hear Rips voice ringing in my ear. After I got done chuckling at this advice, I entertained the doctor with a little tale. You see in January I was walking my dog and tripped over a section of raised concrete. I went completely ass over elbows, broke my phone, and damn near smashed my nose into the concrete. Without hesitation I popped up and much to my amazement I was completely injury free. I realized all that time in the gym doing starting strength had just saved my ass. I advised the doctor that had I been doing his silly cardio and stretching routine I would surely have F'd myself up with that fall. Also, even though my diet was far from clean, my A1C dropped to the point I'm no longer pre-diabetic. I'm a believer! Many thanks to Rip and all the SSCs dealing out the truth!

That's what it's about. Too many in the medical industry do not get it.

Last fall, after almost 10 months without the gym, just doing bodyweight flailing in the house, I went in for my physical. The doc was all excited because I lost 20+lbs, yet was shocked when I said it was because I wasn't lifting. She's been all about the chronic cardio and pushing the meds to chase every single lab result (so much so that I had to build a spreadsheet to track trends and variability to keep her focused).

I wonder what she'd say now that I've gained back that 20lbs now that I have my own setup in the garage. But I won't ever know. I got a new doc.