starting strength gym

Thread: You want to get stronger? Have you heard of Mark Ripatoe?

Cool You want to get stronger? Have you heard of Mark Ripatoe?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Where do I begin with my SS journey? I guess I should start with some back ground. The minute I took my first weight training class in High school I knew that lifting and getting stronger was for me. This was pre internet so we had to rely on what the coach told us was good. Essential it was a pyramid type weight increase with a 5 rep range similar to what can be found in The Strongest Shall Survive by Bill Starr. I ran this program for years well into my time after High school and into my time in the Navy. After 10 ish years running this program, progress slowed to a snails pace. Fortunately it was now about 2008 and the internet had come a long way.

I was fairly strong by now but now looking back I had almost zero technique and was relying on brute strength (355lbs bench, 455 squat and 500 lbs deadlift). I had never even rely given technique much of a thought. If someone commented on my form I would say something like, " Did Conan have perfect form on the Wheel of Pain? Exactly now mind your own business. My back will be fine." I was running a 5x5 plan at this time I had found online. I started to hear Marks name around the gym and started to watch some of his videos on the Youtube. In about 2015 I decided I should stop being cheap and order Starting Strength for my self.

It was a game changer almost once I finished reading it. Not only did my lifts that I was stuck on for years start going up again but it taught me how to show other people how to lift safely with out pain. I was still to stubborn to run a SS program because I thought I was to much of a "Expert lifter/ Strongman." I had not heard of Practical Programming for Strength Training.

I got my teaching certification and started teaching middle school and soon started a weight club for the students after school. I began teaching the students how to lift properly the SS way. My lifts got stalled again now not because my form was dog shit but because my programming was. I was on a 5,3,1 plan I had read from a book I ordered. My lifts had gone up to about (400 lbs bench, 495 squat and 545 deadlift). They stayed at about that level for several years.

This year 2019 I ordered Practical Programming for Strength Training. It is another game changer. My lifts have now started moving up again after several years of stagnation. I found the advanced program was superb to make progress even for an advance lifter like myself. I had a few gym bros that still doubted the cranky Yoda like wisdom of Mark. But after seeing the progress on a 11 program they are now very curious. After 11 weeks I got a 375 bench. Only because I hurt my shoulder hiking crossing a stream half way through the plan. I was on track for a 405 bench before I got hurt hiking of all things. I got a 585 squat which was a 40 ish pound PR. I pulled a 580 lb deadlft. However that pull came after my PR squats so if I would have done it on a separate day I think 600 was there.

I am now a firm believer not only in the Starting Strength way to lift but the plans in Practical Programming for Strength Training. All the weight club students that are serious about getting stronger and not to full of hormones to listen now learn about both lifting properly and novice progression workouts. I had such success on the 11 week advanced power-lifting program that I am running it again with increased poundage. My shoulder is getting better so I hope to get a bench PR this time around. There is little doubt in my mind I will both squat and dead-lift over 600 this time around.

Buy both the books would be the advice I would give anyone who is serious about lifting and read them both immediately. If I had not been so stubborn and started listening to Mark years ago who knows where I would be at today.

If you think I'm a Starting Strength Shill here is a link to my Youtube channel for you to check out the validity of this story: YouTube

Good to hear Jacob!

I'm always trying to spread the good word of SS