starting strength gym

Thread: Triple Success

Default Triple Success

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I did my first LP a year and a half ago at age 50. Not as a beginning lifter, but still as a Novice. It got me quite a bit stronger, most notably to a 300 lb deadlift. Success #1.

Continued Intermediate programming, attended the Starting Strength Seminar to round out 2018. 2019 brought me a few detours on the training path, one of which was a major abdominal surgery in June. "No lifting" for 6 weeks. Argh! Missed it a lot, but followed doctor's orders and just did walking and light movements for the first 6 weeks. I then had doctor's permission to "start back slowly" to previous activities and training. Of course I wanted to build my strength back, and slow movements felt safer than fast movements. LP was the best choice because I knew how everything should feel, and I could progress back up riding the wave of recovery and adaptation as I continued to heal from surgery. I started with press/bench/squat/deadlift at 45/55/55/75 for sets of 5, moving carefully and paying special attention to abdominal pressure and contraction. Added 5-10 lb per session (and couple of larger jumps in week 2 once I felt confident) and 3 sessions per week, and by the end of week 3 I was up to 80/95/120/190. At the end of week 8, 90/125/180/260; ending this "LP 2.0" not too much different from the end of my first LP. Back to Intermediate programming with my coach Bill Been, and 3 weeks after that (this past Friday) I got the 300 lb deadlift back! Success #2. Onward and upward now.

Meanwhile my 24 yr old son returned home for part of this year to heal a broken ankle and finish a couple of college courses. At 6'1", he's always been underweight and in fact had never weighed more than 135 lb to our knowledge. Then this year with the ankle injury limiting his activity and never being much of an eater, he lost even more weight. On 9/4/19, he finally decided to take me up on my offer to train him to lift. We did our first LP session, starting with 45/55/50/75. Very underweight; bodyweight of 123. Very little muscle mass. But determined. He started eating, and drinking milk. Yes, GOMAD. (If ever there was a perfect candidate!) Now he's up to a bodyweight of 140, looking more filled out, and at 75/95/140/185 for press/bench/squat/deadlift. Still a ways to go, but, still at it, and he's heading out west for a winter job in a few weeks and I think he'll keep training. Meanwhile he's built a lot more capability for life and is in a healthier state. Success #3.

Just wanted to say Thank you and leave my testimonial,

Anna

Awesome to hear that you're back on track Anna!

Anna,

Training my (currently 16 yo) son and his friends has been invigorating. Training adults has been great for me as well. The reasons are very different but the results are similarly gratifying. You say you think he'll keep training. Follow that with a barrage. Send the blue book. Send encouraging emails with relevant links to videos and threads. Encourage, inquire about PR's. Ask for video for form checks. Stay on him. He will thank you later.

Good for you Anna! ...and keep us updated.

Pete,
    Thanks!!

GammaFlat,
    Great ideas... I will do that. He's still gaining. I asked if his clothes still fit; he answered, "Yes, but differently. My pants don't fall down anymore."

This is great Anna. Keep the success train rolling!