starting strength gym

Thread: 60 YO Male: Heart Attack Survivor Using SS

Default 60 YO Male: Heart Attack Survivor Using SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 60 years old and have been following SS the last 2 years. Last May of 2019 I suffered a heart attack while doing heavy squats. I call it a fluke occurrence as a piece of plaque broke loose, instantly clotted, then blocked a major artery. They inserted a stent but heart was w/o oxygen for over an hour so I've had to get stronger since. (I was very weak after coming home from the hospital) A month later I began SS again basically with the empty barbell and slowly increased workout by workout. I’ve cut much sodium from my diet and that keeps the doctors happy. They don't like me lifting but my doc probably hasn't seen an exercise facility in many years so what does he know, right?
    Anyway I’m a big fan of Rip and the SS program. Yesterday (5/3/20)almost 12 months since the heart attack I achieved 2 PRs. Bench at 240 and DL at 335. Recently, I squatted 315 (one rep)and pressed 140 (one rep). I feel great by reducing sodium and by continuing to lift. I at first lost 25 pounds but have slowly gained 8 back. Just stay out of restaurants (huge sodium there) or cut way back on them. That's my 2 cent advice.

I’m now thinking of going to the TexasMethod to continue progressing.

Thanks again Rip and SS. Rick M.

That's inspiring!