starting strength gym

Thread: The Program Works

Default The Program Works

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, just wanted to share my experience in applying the SSLP to an acquaintance of mine. So my wife brings this kid to the gym one night, very small, diminutive fellow who may or may not have recently transitioned. Any way, he wants to train with us for a little bit to "get in shape". I let him know that I'm not a personal trainer or fitness coach but that I'd be happy to help him get stronger and enjoy whatever fitness benefits may corollary to that.

So we get started on the program, except he can only commit to 2 days per week. That's fine, I tell him, 2 will do. So he comes in twice a week and we stick to the program, he adds 5lbs a workout, we refine his technique, and he after a month and a half he's noticably more muscular and he's repping what would have been his old 1RM. He continues for another 6 weeks or so, steadily adding weight to the bar and really turning out to be a good student of the lifts. He's gained size, strength, and seems more confident and direct and is a little better company.

Then he got a girlfriend who was into indie rock and being sad all the time and he basically quit coming to work out and I think he ended up joining apothecary's guild or some such. But damn it if the program did not work perfectly for the time that it was applied.

I was not expecting that ending. The program does truly work, from what I've experienced for myself, read or seen, even if you can't follow it tit for tat, you might not be doing the program right but you will still see results, sub-optimal of course. I guess the will to continue and intention to keep progressing must be adressed as well, individual to individual.

I was really bummed when he stopped coming in. I could really see the potential he had to get strong, and I really think it could have benefited him quite a bit. Ah well, not everyone catches the "iron bug".