Hey everyone,

Back in February I sent Mark a video of my squat and received dire warning that I was courting disaster with my form. It was kind of funny because I think I actually shocked Mark and that man has seen some pretty crazy shit.

I had already injured my right knee (ruptured muscle belly above the knee cap). I am 58 years old and this is new to me so I accepted that it was in my best interest to listen and get this fixed asap. I began working with JD Shipley of Starting Strength Houston via online coaching with my first workout being Feb 5 '21. Below is my 3 month recap.

Exercise history: Nothing since I stopped playing hockey in my late teens. In the spring of '20 I wanted to do something about my poor physical condition and began weight training but was doing it wrong.
Existing conditions: osteoarthritis in my neck

Starting numbers:
Height: 5' 9"
Body weight: 231lbs
Squat: 5 x 3 185lbs
Press: 5 x 3 85lbs
Bench: 3 x 5 150lbs
Deadlift: 1 x 5 185lbs

Current high numbers as of Feb 14 '21:
Body weight: 236lbs
Squat: 5 x 3 235lbs
Press: 3 x 2 132.5lbs
Bench: 4 singles 200lbs - note I was programmed for 5 but failed 2 out of 6 attempts.
Deadlift: 2 x 3 260lbs

On March 3rd I injured the left hamstring to the point that walking up a flight of stairs was a right leg only job. JD began programming my squat and deadlift to account for the injury. Squats were dropped to 3 x 25 @ 45lbs and the deadlift was changed to lighter weight and other exercises added such as RDL. The training was effective and we began adding weight again and working back up to where I was pre injury. This took about 6 weeks.

The online training has been great and it is my experience that this provides a viable option for those of us who can't attend in person.

Good luck with your training everyone.

Bill