starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rip wasn't kiddin', was he? A revelation.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    I don't have this problem, but I heard that pec stretches and shoulder dislocates before squatting may help.
    I've struggled with the shoulder flexibility and can attest to this. Especially the should dislocates! You can use a broom handle or a towel or even a Thera-band.
    Pavel Tatsuine(sp?) recommends an insanely high number of repetitions (100?) to "grease the groove" daily. But I find it doesn't take nearly so many...maybe 20-30 reps gets it done for me!

Ok, duh, I had to look this up. Shoulder dislocates is the name of an exercise; you are not literally dislocating your shoulder, right?

Gimmeabreak, I'm a neophyte LOL

And...another one.

I'm 7 weeks post-op; rotator cuff repair. One week ago I starting pressing, lat pulldowns and deadlifts. VERY light. And will LP 3X/week adding 5#/workout to deadlifts and lats, and 2.5#/workout to press.

I'm still going to PT 1X/week. I know, I know. But, the stretching he does on my arm/shoulder feels damn good.

I've experienced some fairly significant discomfort in the press when the bar is in front of my face. However, today, DUH!, I realized that my Press 2.0 form wasn't there. I wasn't pushing hips forward, leaning back, etc. to minimize the moment arm. Once I corrected and bounced forward as the bar clears my face, voila!, presses feel great.

So, there it is, folks. Once again, I think this Rippetoe fella knows what he talking about!

Sidebar: last PT visit I said, "I see you have a squat rack. When ya gonna let me get back to my squats?" He asked if I was trying to wreck my lumbar spine. [facepalm]

starting strength coach development program
    First, no Rip was not kidding about low bar. Worth the effort to get it right. Low bar allows me to keep the bar in line over mid-foot. Next, I had rotator cuff surgery ten years ago and had to work hard to get shoulder flexibility for the correct hand position for low bar squats. Took the better part of a year. Elbows on bench, inside of wrists together with knees far enough back on floor to feel a stretch, but not pain. One of few that I do. I do not know about the technical stuff, just that it works for me. Helps on cleans, of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12