starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip wasn't kiddin', was he? A revelation.

Default Rip wasn't kiddin', was he? A revelation.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When doing your squats, get the $%*# bar LOW! Finally, I get it now.

I've read the books, looked at online videos by Rip and other's form checks, read the forum, even went to observe at the Iron Fest. Today, finally, I got it.

My lower back has been a little out of sorts for the last month or so. The problem, I now see, is that the bar was too high, creating a moment arm and putting excess stress on the lumbar. Well, I think that's the correct analysis.

Today, I forced the bar low. It was a struggle and it was uncomfortable as hell, but when I completed my squats, my back felt GREAT.

Now, I just need someone to tell me that my shoulders will adjust and adapt.

Thanks for reading.

They will adjust and adapt. My first few warm up sets my shoulders are a mess. As a matter of fact - my first set of 10 with just the bar my hands are nearly out near where the plates reside. I just make sure that each warm up set they are in a little more; keep my elbows up and thumbs on top - -they will slide in. This may help also - -I don't think slide hands in so much as I think pinching my shoulder blades together. Pinch the shoulder blades together THEN slide your hands in. You can do it.

I'm your age more or less, and yes, the first few sets are indeed a challenge to the shoulders. It takes at least 3 sets get even moderately less uncomfortable in my shoulders. I am VERY inflexible through my shoulders.

Also, the low bar position among other things cured my back problems resulting from squats.

You can do your presses/bench first and that will likely help. I prefer that order myself because doing so seems to have no effect on squats, but sometimes squat wreck you enough to effect the upper body stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    They will adjust and adapt. My first few warm up sets my shoulders are a mess. As a matter of fact - my first set of 10 with just the bar my hands are nearly out near where the plates reside. I just make sure that each warm up set they are in a little more; keep my elbows up and thumbs on top - -they will slide in. This may help also - -I don't think slide hands in so much as I think pinching my shoulder blades together. Pinch the shoulder blades together THEN slide your hands in. You can do it.
    Wheres the gif Brian?

Thanks for stoppin' by, guys. Exactly what I needed to hear. What I experienced is tracking y'all's advice/comments perfectly.

I pinched the shoulders (imagine trying to hold a pencil between shoulder blades), tried to bring hands closer as I worked through sets, kept elbows up, and gritted my teeth while I squatted. Can't lie; my shoulders ached, bad, especially the right shoulder. Got some issues there. It's why I don't bench.

But, MAN, I can't get over how good it feels to nail this down. I just feel tired tonight - not beat up at all - and I had a darn good workout. Still doing novice LP.

Gotta say it again - SS is a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Wheres the gif Brian?
    Starting Strength is good for me . . Starting Strength is good for me. . .

I don't have this problem, but I heard that pec stretches and shoulder dislocates before squatting may help.
    Last edited by krazyduck; 10-28-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Starting Strength is good for me . . Starting Strength is good for me. . .
    Much better. I thought Rip said you were banned unless a gif was included in all your posts?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Much better. I thought Rip said you were banned unless a gif was included in all your posts?
    You are correct. The pressure that dude puts on me . . if you guys only knew.. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast