starting strength gym

Thread: New old guy with squat issues, possible alternatives

Talking New old guy with squat issues, possible alternatives

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all, got the Barbell Prescription book and have been lifting again for the last three weeks.
    Some history: I had acl/mcl surgery on my left knee about 20 years ago and I still have pain and looseness with it, not to mention not much confidence in it.
    Every time I have squatted in the past, once I get to about 225, the pain becomes pretty significant on the back of the knee and below the knee cap and I have to back off.
    I really want to continue in the program, but not sure what to do about the squat.
    Also, my elbows are killing me

Thanks

Maybe you shouldn't be squatting. Find an alternative that doesn't beat you up.

Before you give up on squatting, get a form check in the coaches section. Read the sticky first, follow the instructions and post a video. They will identify any bad habits that are most likely causing you the pain/discomfort.

Also, consider getting some knee sleeves. They will warm up the tissue in the knee and keep your knees warm and happy while squatting.

TLDR: (too long didn't read version of my post)
    The knee sleeves and sweat pants (recommended by Sully at his squat camp) made all my knee pains go away, plus he improved my form. (quite the bargain)

THE LONG VERSION
    Similar on some levels.
    Weight: 268 (started at 280)
    Knee surgery 1974 removed cartilage both sides. completely lost one ligament.
    Later tore an ACL. Referred several times for knee replacement.
    Over time and re-injury cycle developed a "self feeding inflammation cycle" in right knee.
    Tried a huge number of things to "rehab myself".
    Also had military disability for back injury.

When I began in April of 2016, I was using two canes and had purchased a walker due to many problems the worst of which was my right knee. I could not "air squat" and probably would have needed 50-70 pounds of "assist" to do a squat. (I was a hot mess)

Wednesday 2/22/2017 I squatted 227.5x5x3. (so we're now in about the same ball park, except I probably weigh more)

ADVICE:
    Do as much of this as you can, as close to the program as possible. (I'd stay out of the pain you describe)
    Go to a squat camp. I did in the fall and it helped a lot. (I went over 250 miles)
    Get neoprene knee sleeves, keep you knees warm (I'd get the thicker one next to the "Copper fit")
    Wear sweat pants when you work out. (same reason as knee sleeves)
    Get a SS coach if possible. Well worth it if one is in your area.
    Consider backing down some on the squat, and micro-loading up.
    (I got a pair of 1.25 plates which work but now wish I would have gotten the 4 sets of .5 plates)
    Video your squat (use your phone and a reading stand), and look at your form versus the videos / book.

OPINION:
    There is no great tragedy in doing what you can, even stalling below your pain threshold for a while. Do what you can, and you will most likely increase what you can do. I had a hell of a time getting to full depth on the squat at any weight. But I did what I had to do, it took longer than most people, but at the end of the day "who cares?".

Consider your own tolerance for this movement. This is important as we age. So what if you are stuck at say 220 for a while. Squatting 220x5x3 is far better than anything else you could do with that time. Your body will adapt to it. Maybe you can't add weight for a while. I've found that persistence, if implemented with some wisdom, is unstoppable. In other words, do what you can without pain, and you will grow your capacity in time.

If you need a break from squats to heal up. Focus on the dead lift instead for a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    TLDR: (too long didn't read version of my post)
    The knee sleeves and sweat pants (recommended by Sully at his squat camp) made all my knee pains go away, plus he improved my form. (quite the bargain)

THE LONG VERSION
    Similar on some levels.
    Weight: 268 (started at 280)
    Knee surgery 1974 removed cartilage both sides. completely lost one ligament.
    Later tore an ACL. Referred several times for knee replacement.
    Over time and re-injury cycle developed a "self feeding inflammation cycle" in right knee.
    Tried a huge number of things to "rehab myself".
    Also had military disability for back injury.

When I began in April of 2016, I was using two canes and had purchased a walker due to many problems the worst of which was my right knee. I could not "air squat" and probably would have needed 50-70 pounds of "assist" to do a squat. (I was a hot mess)

Wednesday 2/22/2017 I squatted 227.5x5x3. (so we're now in about the same ball park, except I probably weigh more)

ADVICE:
    Do as much of this as you can, as close to the program as possible. (I'd stay out of the pain you describe)
    Go to a squat camp. I did in the fall and it helped a lot. (I went over 250 miles)
    Get neoprene knee sleeves, keep you knees warm (I'd get the thicker one next to the "Copper fit")
    Wear sweat pants when you work out. (same reason as knee sleeves)
    Get a SS coach if possible. Well worth it if one is in your area.
    Consider backing down some on the squat, and micro-loading up.
    (I got a pair of 1.25 plates which work but now wish I would have gotten the 4 sets of .5 plates)
    Video your squat (use your phone and a reading stand), and look at your form versus the videos / book.

OPINION:
    There is no great tragedy in doing what you can, even stalling below your pain threshold for a while. Do what you can, and you will most likely increase what you can do. I had a hell of a time getting to full depth on the squat at any weight. But I did what I had to do, it took longer than most people, but at the end of the day "who cares?".

Consider your own tolerance for this movement. This is important as we age. So what if you are stuck at say 220 for a while. Squatting 220x5x3 is far better than anything else you could do with that time. Your body will adapt to it. Maybe you can't add weight for a while. I've found that persistence, if implemented with some wisdom, is unstoppable. In other words, do what you can without pain, and you will grow your capacity in time.

If you need a break from squats to heal up. Focus on the dead lift instead for a couple weeks.

Wow, great post, thank you. This knee is a source of frustration for sure. Golf is hell on it, same with skiing.
    My son has some micro plates,( he's a member here).
    I will definitely look into getting some coaching
    Last edited by lumpy; 02-24-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Buy a trap (hex) bar or join a gym that has one.

Lumpy,
    How about a follow-up, now that it has been several months? I (and perhaps others with similar knee issues) may benefit from reading how your process is going. And anyone on here who is 6+ years into a tkr, how is your hardware holding up under a progressive loading of squat?

Mick, I'm heading into 2 yrs tkr and find it too painful now to go beyond 125 though I'll occasionally do 20 reps.

starting strength coach development program
    This might fix a lot of your problems. Elbows for sure, the pain will be gONE.