starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerlifting shoes- worth it?

Default Powerlifting shoes- worth it?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Novice lifter wondering about powerlifting shoes, particularly for squat. Are they worth it for a novice? Why? And if so, any recommendations?

I am currently running Starting Strength- 5 weeks in. I squatted quite a bit in high school- and then went 14 years with out doing it until this past winter. Starting squat weight for work sets was 205 and currently at 245. Been squatting 2x/week and adding 5 lbs every session. I am feeling good and feel I still have a fair amount of progression on the squat before I stall. For a novice/ beginner, are powerlifting shoes worth it?

Currently lift in Nike Airmax typha. Very flat, neutral shoe. 6'1'' // 195-ish pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog223 View Post
    Novice lifter wondering about powerlifting shoes, particularly for squat. Are they worth it for a novice? Why? And if so, any recommendations?

I am currently running Starting Strength- 5 weeks in. I squatted quite a bit in high school- and then went 14 years with out doing it until this past winter. Starting squat weight for work sets was 205 and currently at 245. Been squatting 2x/week and adding 5 lbs every session. I am feeling good and feel I still have a fair amount of progression on the squat before I stall. For a novice/ beginner, are powerlifting shoes worth it?

Currently lift in Nike Airmax typha. Very flat, neutral shoe. 6'1'' // 195-ish pounds.
    Search function.

Even without considering the heel, lifting shoes are great because they keep your foot stable. You don't want your foot rolling around when you're at the bottom with 405 on your back.

Yes they are worth it. You really need to search the forums next time because this isn't a new question.

They keep you stable and "planted" way better than other shoes.
    They have an actual flat sole.
    Their soles are made of very stiff non-compressible material.
    They added heal helps get to depth with squats.

I'm only going to mention that YNDTP based on your squat progress and more importantly the fact that you're squatting twice a week.
    The Nike Airmax typha is as flat as any other running shoe which is to say not very. Check out some Nike Romaleos or Adipowers and you'll see what I mean.

Do you need them? No. Are they worth having? Absolutely!

Agree -- not necessary, but very much worth owning.

Powerlifting shoes or Weightlifting shoes? There is a difference.

Absolutely worth it.

Hey guys, I golf about twice a week. I wear Air Jordans. Think golf spikes are worth it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Hey guys, I golf about twice a week. I wear Air Jordans. Think golf spikes are worth it?
    I think we'd need to see some video's in the technique forum so we can evaluate if that is in fact golf you play. Stick to your Jordans until we see a training log with decreased alcohol consumption and increased accuracy. Renting a cart and drinking beer with your buddies twice a week isn't golfing. YNDTP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast