starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linear progression on SS Program?

Default Linear progression on SS Program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After 8 months of barbell training at 5X5 for front and back squats, DL's and more recently OHP and BP I got the SS app. I had also been doing cleans and jerks after workout for practice as well as shoulder mobility stretches/exercises. The SS app is programmed for ten lb. back squat and DL increases for every workout 48-72 hours apart. Well, I was doing OK until Monday's workout and found that I regressed on the squat and the DL. Was at one prescribed set of 5 reps on the DL at 285 on workout a few days before Monday and Monday could not do the 295 in the program or for that matter even 285 that I had no problem with a few days before. It was a very weird feeling not to be able to lift. Same with squat. And that is after three minutes of rest between lifts. Ten pound increases on the squat and DL are too much for me and I will go to 5 pound increases. Problem is that after Monday's failure I am very disappointed--even discouraged with my progress. I get at least 8-9 hours of sleep and eat well, including whey isolate shakes once a day for the past ten days or so. So the question is, should i expect linear progression or are setbacks normal?

The SS app is probably programmed for younger than 70 year olds, as the only variable input is body weight. One of the 24 yr. old trainers in the gym who is about 175 lbs DL's 600 and tells me that he never goes up by more than 5 lb. increments a week in training. I answered my own question about incremental weights at 5 lbs., but would like to know if setbacks are normal.

I am sure you will get more qualified replies than this, but:
    - 5 lb increments, and then less, are inevitable
    - 3 minutes rest is not enough for recovery once you are anywhere close to your limits. I have seen up to 10 minutes recommended on this board

I've found the sweet spot for me is 8 minutes rest between work sets.

AParrillo: As a 57 yr old training on the SSLP for the past 8 weeks I find that I am just starting to reset, I too couldn't hit my 285 DL and my[shakey] Squats are feeling like they are in need of a reset[sloppy] Bench still is progressing very well but my OHP is struggling too. I have been following the timed rest period in the SS app. and after reading a couple of the posts maybe more rest will do the trick, I do have that burnt out feeling that I remember oh so well over the past 25 years or so of overtraining and program hopping. I have purchased Andy Baker's "Garage Gym warrior" and want to migrate over to that when SSLP runs it's course.

Thank you for your replies. Guess I will have to rest more, although 8 minutes will make for a very long workout. Also, good to know that I am not alone with lack of linear progression. Maybe I set my ultimate goals too high, but I am not about to give in to age as an excuse so will press on.

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    Thank you for your replies. Guess I will have to rest more, although 8 minutes will make for a very long workout. Also, good to know that I am not alone with lack of linear progression. Maybe I set my ultimate goals too high, but I am not about to give in to age as an excuse so will press on.
    I also bought microplates as I saw that even 5lb jumps at some point would be to much for the press and bench press.

Just get the book(s). The app is a tool and not a substitute, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I've found the sweet spot for me is 8 minutes rest between work sets.
    There is come science behind 8 minute rests, according to this article:
    Top 10 Mistakes People Following Starting Strength Make | Barbell Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    There is come science behind 8 minute rests, according to this article:
    Top 10 Mistakes People Following Starting Strength Make | Barbell Medicine
    i've gotten myself up to 6 minutes on the work sets, but damn that seems like forever

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    i've gotten myself up to 6 minutes on the work sets, but damn that seems like forever
    I usually rest 5 minutes. According to the article ATP should be 95% restored at 5. At 6 minutes you're between 95 and 100%. If you were competing you'd want 100%. If you wanted absolute maximum results, you'd want 100%. For a soon to be 67 yo geezer 95% seems ok for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast