starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Left shoulder pain during bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wouldn't recommend skipping press and bench completely. Get a lacross ball and roll your shoulder where the tendons attach and down the arm some. You need to roll it front, middle and back. Find the one that hurts the most and roll that one up and down...it will hurt quite a bit but totally worth it. I do this when my shoulder gets bad and I can still bench/press heavy. Dips are rough on my shoulders. I generally do them at BW because as I add weight, my shoulder doesn't like it. Also, do the shoulder dislocation stretch...I prefer it with a 30 lb band. I do them every single day I lift while warming up for the first exercise and during bench/press warmups.

I recommend sticking with the main movements because my shoulder always comes back around faster if I keep lifting.

How is throwing with that shoulder? Could be a rotator cuff. I suspect this is good for a number of shoulder issues.

I got amazing results, with Rip's video. Rip suspended a bar (using rings) from his ceiling. I used motorcycle straps hung from my rack. I began with a 1" doll rod.

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe
    Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

I'd listen carefully to Rip's explanation and cautions. He tends to waste few words.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt View Post
    Do you mean single arm DB bench?
    Yes, single arm DB Bench. It's harder than you think. Right now I'm on the 100 pounders for my work sets. As only one side is loaded, you have to stabilize yourself. You will be using leg drive on your loaded side.

Just an update: shoulder feeling better (out of the gym) after lay off from bench press, OH press, heavy weighted pullups, weighted dips, heavy lying tricep extensions (still enjoy squat, deadlift). Lifting arm overhead or turning the steering wheel, not sending as severe little jolts of pain as a month ago.

My theory is that one of these heavy exercises was aggravating the "fluid filled sack near scapula" (see original post).

Weird I know. Conventional wisdom says "keep working it" but in my case the only improvement in ten months seems to be rest it (am continuing to do miscellaneous light shoulder dumbbell and cable exercises).

Just another update: shoulder feeling slightly better after rest from heavy shoulder exercises (listed above). I can flex my left arm when hanging at my side with no left shoulder pain. I can do a pushup with only a slight amount of left shoulder pain. If I lift my left arm (like a bicep pose) and flex- still hurts pretty good. This is my throwing and basketball shooting arm... throwing feels decent and better.

I can't wait to resume the OH press. May start doing these very, very light- soon.

(My first post describes my medical diagnosis- no muscle tear but rather "fluid filled cyst near scapula"). Had this shoulder pain for a year now. My theory is that my continued use of heavy exercises above were aggravating my shoulder.

Am doing some really light cable, dumbbell type shoulder exercises once per week... high reps and low weight to avoid left shoulder pain.

Just to contrast: I tweaked my low back in a heavy squat so bad this week I was having trouble rolling over in bed at night for a couple of days. Like other tweaks, it feels better every day. My left shoulder however has continued to be in the same condition for nearly a year now (slightly better the past couple of months). Squatting light today though so got my fingers crossed that my back is ready!

Thanks for reading and for your comments.

Read through this thread and am having some shoulder issues (left) from benching and knee issues unrelated to training. I was wondering if anyone had tried the peptide bpc 157 and what the results were like?

I have tried all kinds of things: Lacrosse ball and foam rolling (helped with elbow tendinitis a lot), different shoulder rehab exercises (face pulls, etc.), stretching and mobility exercises, cissus and glucosamine (didn't do anything), NSAIDS naproxen in particular (helps acutely) and am currently taking Boswellia extract and tumeric (been on a couple of days so too early to assess). None of the above have eliminated the issues but the naproxen, lacrosse ball, and stretching/mobility exercises seem to have helped the most. Just wondering if the bpc 157 will knock it out or if I'm wasting my time?

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but thought I'd provide an update. My shoulder is getting better- finally. Just to sum up my rehab- I quit all heavy work that I thought could possibly be aggravating my shoulder (weighted chinups, weighted dips, heavy lying tricep extensions, bench press and OH press) for a few months. I basically only did deadlifts (switched to double overhand hook grip), squats, and then some rinky dink other stuff (nothing heavy). As I write this I can sit here and flex my left arm hard and NOT feel it in my shoulder. I also bench pressed 180 x 5 with no left shoulder pain last week, something I haven't been able to do for over a year. I also am up to an OH press of 115 for sets of 5, again something I couldn't do without pain for over a year.

In sum I would suggest that some injuries can't just be worked through and sometimes you can be aggravating something without realizing it. My shoulder just wouldn't improve until I backed off of chins and dips even though these were not causing hardly any pain when doing them.

So my advice is in two parts:

1. You may have to just REST it, substantially (like take a few months off).
    2. You may be aggravating an injury even if the pain isn't that bad.

The confusing part is I still don't actually know how I hurt my shoulder in the first place or precisely what was aggravating it. I will probably stay away from heavy weighted dips and chins and only seek to advance my bench and OH press at a very slow and careful pace (with extra careful attention to proper form).

Thanks for everyone's advice and sorry if I was to hard headed to follow some of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123