starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost motivation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Glock,

Tell me your secret. I'd be happy with a 370 on dead and a 315 on Squat. How did you get there? I'm only 70 and I just keep plugging away. If you haven't seen a certified SS coach recently why not go see one? He/she can help get you back on track. Who knows, it's worth a try.

Consistency and perseverance. There will be set-backs and jumps forward. You're young. Eat well and sleep and get back to the gym. i just hit a 374 lb squat and a 385 DL in a meet last weekend. I had better numbers last Fall. Don't get obsessed with your fails. Focus on your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You're still young. You can probably get to those goals you want with a few runs and cycles up and then backing off again. Just be patient and recognize that it will take a while because of slower gains.

I've been lifting on and off since my late teens and I'm coming up on my 67th birthday. Since the 1960's, I've tried not quite everything, but a lot of things that came and fell out of fashion over the decades and wasted my time and potentially top gains I could have made. What the hey, nothing to be done about that now. All things considered, I have been reasonably lucky and have not lost much strength from my peak in my early 40's. In fact, I bumped up my DL about 20 lbs. from a 405 gym lift to a 425 gym lift when I got SS coaching at a seminar 5 years ago. I haven't managed to get over 400 for a year and a half. My bench press has fallen off about 20 lbs. too from that period of time.

This will happen to all of us one day. Not you, and not now, but someday. In spite of that, I refuse to go quietly and simply give up. I am going to continue to push to maintain or even re-expand the edge of my envelope until the 3rd or 4th time The Reaper comes for me and I don't whip his ass again. Giving up is not in me.

Relax, regroup, recharge, and get back and hit it again.
    Excellent and inspiring. Let's redefine what it means to be old.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nathan View Post
    Consistency and perseverance. There will be set-backs and jumps forward. You're young. Eat well and sleep and get back to the gym. i just hit a 374 lb squat and a 385 DL in a meet last weekend. I had better numbers last Fall. Don't get obsessed with your fails. Focus on your goals.
    Thank you, I needed to read that after the crappy session I had yesterday afternoon (even though I am older than the OP).

If motivation is lacking, I find taking a deload week often helps to recover mentally and emotionally.

If that doesn't work, I go to the gym and only do cardio. Seeing everyone else lifting while I'm sitting there on a stationary bike usually snaps me back into wanting to lift.

I was kind of in your mental place in Feb of this year--closing in on 30% while still not achieving the 200/300/400/500 the bench marks. I said fuggit and started a pretty severe cut and ended up dropping 40# and probably 15 percentage points in bf over 3 months. I lost considerable pressing strength but squat and deadlift didn't lose much at all. In the end, I'm glad I did it. I feel and look a lot better.

Somewhere in the process I learned how to track what I eat and what level of calories I need to lose, maintain and grow. That knowledge is invaluable. Now I'm slowly gaining body weight and the strength is coming back much faster than my weight is increasing. This is a much different experience than I had in past.

Why did you try a 1rm after two weeks off? You should follow a program and not test constantly. Also, don't get upset about a bad day. Try watching Izzy's videos on YouTube, particularly​ one about
    Trust the Process and another one
    Strength Fluctuations are Normal

Quote Originally Posted by GlockSquat View Post
    Hi,

let me try to make you feel better. I started lifting in June 2009, aged 40. Last December, after more than seven years, I finally hit a three wheel squat; for a single, mind you. And for the last six months I've made zero progress; I run two ten-weeks cycles, and in both cases, towards the end, when I was ramping up the intensity to reap the benefits of the volume I had accumulated in the first weeks, I got injured, or sick, and could not finish the cycle. All that effort in vain, and that's because I missed six days of training out of the last six months.
    Trust me, maddening doesn't even begin to cover it.
    And yet, I am still stronger than I've ever been, stronger than when I was half my current age; why should I stop lifting, even if it's just to maintain the levels I'm at now?

And one more thing; one of the best things I did for my training was to accept that I can only make very, very slow progress. Once I started to ignore other people's expectations of what I should lift, I started enjoying my lifts more. Of course I wouldn't mind making faster progress (let's say, improving from glacial to merely treacly), but things are what they are, and for me they are slow.

Hope this helps,

IPB

A nice Master Olympic Lifter told me of a trick he uses each year. He is (only) 59 but has found that at his age his strength and power is dwindling. [Sarcopenia - aging related loss of power and muscle.]

So each year his lifts are getting less and less.

This is discouraging.

What he does is wipe out previous history at the start of the year, and starts out fresh, so as the year progresses he sets new exercises and lifts "records". This is more fun than hopelessly trying to surpass what you did when young.

My personal method is just to work where i am, with my current routine, trying to exceed what was done in previous weeks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast