starting strength gym

Thread: Programming question for older novice bench press

Default Programming question for older novice bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm finishing up six months of very slow but steady progress. I have been adding a pound a week to my bench press. I started lifting twice a week for the first few months, then when it started to feel like work, I went down to once a week. I'm 59, female and have partial rotator cuff tears in one shoulder. Have had surgical repair of the same in the other. Until now I have been able to add my pound a week, but today I couldn't do it. My injured shoulder felt too weak I had to take 3# off to do my sets. 8 hours later I have no more pain than usual, but I'm not sure which way to go right now. I wonder if a week off is too long for recovery at this point and I should be lifting twice a week. Or is it normal to make gains for six months and then plateau? I'm only lifting 80#. I hoped to get up to 100 before I stopped progressing so nicely. I'm kind of on a fine line between adding strength and blowing out my injury. So far with six months work I'm doing ok. No injuries yet. I'd like to keep it that way, but if I can keep progressing that would be great.
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Outstanding; 07-26-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Or is it normal to make gains for six months and then plateau?
    Yes it is perfectly normal. As you progress in strength your programming needs to be more and more complex.

I think getting back to lifting 2 x week is a good idea if you can manage it recovery-wise. I'd make the 2nd day a light(er) one, for instance 2 sets of 5 @80% of your standard working weight. Eventually in the future you might need to reset, cut the weights by 10% and build back up from there.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your training!

How is your Press doing? I found this video helpful with rotator cuff tears. (yeah plural, both non lifting injuries)

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

And what Igor already said.

You might also benefit from going to 3's instead of 5's. (5 sets instead of 3 for the same volume).

Mostly be patient, it will come.

Good luck.

As mentioned above you'll need to change your programming as nothing works forever. Some people find that getting stronger in the overhead press helps increase their bench. With a history of shoulder injuries it's very wise to take it conservatively as you've been doing.

So today for bench presses, I did five sets of three instead of three sets of five like I had been doing. Waaaay better. Unbelievable how much difference a little change like that can make.

starting strength coach development program
    Good Work!!!