starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hobbies and pastimes for strong geezers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My update after the Timber Framing Workshop: What a great experience this was! We learned enough to timberframe our own small house. We were trained by very bright hippy/peace corps types in a remarkable craft which required furniture quality joinery cut with hand tools into a 16x12' frame that will outlast any stick-built modern structure. I was a proud 64 year old standing up big 500 lb "bents" (think wall sections) comprised of 8x8 timbers, along with a crew of mostly younger guys. Connections were mortoise and tenons, drawn together with pegs. Strength and endurance, along with manual dexterity and work ethic, were keys to getting this done. You guys should try this, it was worthy of strong geezers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    My update after the Timber Framing Workshop: What a great experience this was! We learned enough to timberframe our own small house. We were trained by very bright hippy/peace corps types in a remarkable craft which required furniture quality joinery cut with hand tools into a 16x12' frame that will outlast any stick-built modern structure. I was a proud 64 year old standing up big 500 lb "bents" (think wall sections) comprised of 8x8 timbers, along with a crew of mostly younger guys. Connections were mortoise and tenons, drawn together with pegs. Strength and endurance, along with manual dexterity and work ethic, were keys to getting this done. You guys should try this, it was worthy of strong geezers!
    What was the reaction of the Young Bucks, seeing you holding your own with them? (Man, a video of said reaction would be SOOOO cool.)

WW

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    My home is a timber framed house although the joinery was done by machine I think. Like you say they last for centuries, plus the exposed timbers look awesome.

First picture shows what we built: Verizon Cloud
    Second picture is me (white hat, facing forward), lined up with the 30-something guys, getting ready to stand up the first of three "bents":
    Verizon Cloud
    Third shows my younger brother performing an IQ test:
    Verizon Cloud
    Told you it was fun!
    Last edited by Bestafter60; 08-31-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Clarity

starting strength coach development program
    So Jealous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123