starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Getting Strong "Oh Yes" Moments

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When your 13 year old daughter (who squats 3 x a week) looks around the YMCA and says dad these people are a lot bigger and younger than you and you lift so much more than hem.

lived all over the world, currently Monterey CA

These are all great. For me, it's the simple things. I can eat more and get away with it. lol
    Also when young lifters in the gym ask me for advice on how to get stronger instead of asking their young larger counterparts.

I started with SSOC about two months ago. I'll be 62 next month and have lifted a little, off-and-on for years, but never really seriously, never with a qualified coach, etc.

Though my numbers are slowly going up, these stories are great to read; actual real-life situations where being strong made a difference.

I binge watched Fargo, Season One last weekend. (Binge watching is something I almost NEVER do.) In one of the scenes, the bad guy, played by Billy Bob Thornton, walks into a business and drags off his victim, (an overweight guy, looks to be in his early 40s), by the victim's necktie. I know it's only a TV show, but I couldn't help but think of Rip's line that strong people are harder to kill. If the victim, overweight or not, had been squatting and deadlifting heavy, well, he could have fought back effectively.

The scene is in episode 4, I couldn't find a to that particular scene.
    Last edited by drwillie; 08-31-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drwillie View Post
    I binge watched Fargo, Season One last weekend. (Binge watching is something I almost NEVER do.) In one of the scenes, the bad guy, played by Billy Bob Thornton, walks into a business and drags off his victim, (an overweight guy, looks to be in his early 40s), by the victim's necktie. I know it's only a TV show, but I couldn't help but think of Rip's line that strong people are harder to kill. If the victim, overweight or not, had been squatting and deadlifting heavy, well, he could have fought back effectively.
    Is anyone else irritated by Hollywood characters hanging from by their hands for long periods of time?
    I can hang by one hand a bit over 10 seconds, and I'm pretty good at chinups.

But skinny TV police-women who clearly Don't Even Lift can hang from a rope ladder by one hand, swinging from a helicopter, and holding another whole human being by the other hand, for 5 minutes or more.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Is anyone else irritated by Hollywood characters hanging from by their hands for long periods of time?
    I can hang by one hand a bit over 10 seconds, and I'm pretty good at chinups.

But skinny TV police-women who clearly Don't Even Lift can hang from a rope ladder by one hand, swinging from a helicopter, and holding another whole human being by the other hand, for 5 minutes or more.
    No more than I am by the number of times the boxers in the Rocky movies take solid hits and don't go down. That just don't happen.
    IOW, it bothers me too.

WW

Or Jennifer Garner's stunt double doing a head high kick (all 105 lbs. of her) and taking out a 200 lb. man

Or every-cop-show-ever! putting a round in the chamber of their semi-auto.

Or . . .

One day recently, while doing my twice a week lifting workout at the fire hall, I was between sets and went downstairs to kill time with the crew sitting around the bullshitters table (built by yours truly)
    IMG_1238.jpg

My good friend and dive buddy, Captain Kathy, was sitting in an old style steel office chair at the table, and made some comment about lifting geezers. I told her this one could pick her up. Ha ha says she and the group around the table. So I grabbed the arm rails of the chair and lifted it and her svelt 140 or so several inches clear of the floor. Then hauled my gray haired self back to the gym room.

Quote Originally Posted by Farback View Post
    One day recently, while doing my twice a week lifting workout at the fire hall, I was between sets and went downstairs to kill time with the crew sitting around the bullshitters table (built by yours truly)
    IMG_1238.jpg

My good friend and dive buddy, Captain Kathy, was sitting in an old style steel office chair at the table, and made some comment about lifting geezers. I told her this one could pick her up. Ha ha says she and the group around the table. So I grabbed the arm rails of the chair and lifted it and her svelt 140 or so several inches clear of the floor. Then hauled my gray haired self back to the gym room.
    What a saweeeet story. Which "official" lift would that come closest to?

WW

Quote Originally Posted by drwillie View Post
    What a saweeeet story. Which "official" lift would that come closest to?

WW
    It was like a deadlift, but very much alive and squaking.

starting strength coach development program
    I was at a meeting one Saturday AM, got there early so got roped into helping set up the room. Several tables had to be moved. The easiest way to move them was not to drag them across the floor, but rather pick them up overhead and take 'em where they needed to be. I really wasn't trying to show off, but the presenter for the meeting was duly impressed.

It was a good feeling.

WW

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast