starting strength gym

Thread: For those of you that record your lifts.

Default For those of you that record your lifts.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What’s your setup? I currently use my iPhone to record my lifts, but when I do so, my music
    that I’m streaming from my iPhone drops out.

Do you use a camera other than your phone? A GoPro maybe?

Any decent digital camera will record good videos now. I like Nikon cool pix or Fuji xp(has wifi download capability) works good for pocket size cameras.

Get something shock proof and submersible for extra utility and less worry. You will drop a camera in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    What’s your setup? I currently use my iPhone to record my lifts, but when I do so, my music

Yeah, been there. I've tried a couple things..
    -Record video with fancy DSLR and use iphone for music: waaay too inconvenient/slow to get videos off camera/card and onto youtube
    -Record video with iphone and just don't play music on work sets: kinda lame
    -Record video with iphone and use wireless headphones coming from a different source (I used a PS4): not as convenient to change songs and headphones can get HOT depending on your lifting environment and type of headphones.

I settled on a wi-fi speaker. I bought into the Sonos system and it is fantastic. (I currently have two Play:1s in the house, and one Play:5 for my gym)
    Now I just use my iphone for video and the Sonos speaker is "controlled" by my phone but the speaker uses Wi-Fi to stream, so the music never stops. Good stuff.

I thought about going the GoPro route, but it was very expensive for a decent unit, and it's just so easy to upload a video direct from my iphone during my rest break rather than deal with another gadget.

I use a GoPro5, its great because I use the app on my phone to start and stop the recording. If you film in it the "LINEAR" view then it will get rid of the fisheye effect. Here is a do it yourself magnet mount I created that you can make to put on any rack for camera shots.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post

I ended up buying a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab A for around $180 for filming purposes and since I wanted a tablet to use otherwise it has worked out well. Camera seems to be fairly good and easy to prop up with a case on it. I also like that it has an SD card I save videos to so I don't fill my phone up and can swap it out when full. Little bit of a pain to remember it every time I go to gym but I seem to be getting better about it.

I have issues filming on my iPhone. For one thing, my home gym is a bit cramped and the iPhone video camera doesn't have great depth of field, it's difficult to get everything in shot when the camera has to be pretty close for certain angles (eg front on shots of bench press). For another I had the same issue as others here, I use the phone for streaming music to a bluetooth speaker (or headphones) sometimes, and as a workout tracker/rest timer (all the time) so if I want to take video the music dies, or I have to flick between Strong and the camera. So nowadays I really only use the iPhone to record specific things like PR attempts and stuff I otherwise want to throw up on Instagram fairly quickly.

I ended up acquiring a Panasonic video camera and a gorillapod which pretty much lives in my gym and I use that to do the bulk of the recording. I've got a computer in there too so it's easy enough to grab the footage at the end of the workout and edit it up.

I use my Samsung Galaxy S7 and I got an adapter for my camera tripod to mount it.

I bought into the Sonos system and it is fantastic.
    Agreed! I've been using Sonos for several years and I always have music playing.

starting strength coach development program
    I use a simple, old, Canon digital camera, or a Mobius camera (like the ones they use on drones).

IPB