starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Getting Strong "Oh Yes" Moments

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In my Real Airline Pilot day job, I enjoy handing my roller bag to van drivers by just holding it out to them like it doesn't weigh anything and watching their reaction. Not exactly Thor's Hammer, still an amusing way to prank skinnyboys. The actual, no-kidding first time I had the epiphany that stronger is better, it was after a few months of kettlebell training. I have since moved on from that, but one aspect of using that tool I will never doubt is that it builds grip strength pretty effectively. Anyhow after getting to the point where I was swinging and snatching fairly heavy bells, I was changing the oil in my car. Realizing I had forgotten the filter wrench and staring straight at the filter, I thought "I wonder.....". It was one of those filters with the grippy material on the cap, so I grabbed it and twisted. I was surprised when it moved, and ultimately I twisted it off. I was willing to chalk it up to the filter having been minimally torqued at installation, but then I noticed I had also put two opposing dents in it with my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    In my Real Airline Pilot day job, I enjoy handing my roller bag to van drivers by just holding it out to them like it doesn't weigh anything and watching their reaction. Not exactly Thor's Hammer, still an amusing way to prank skinnyboys. The actual, no-kidding first time I had the epiphany that stronger is better, it was after a few months of kettlebell training. I have since moved on from that, but one aspect of using that tool I will never doubt is that it builds grip strength pretty effectively. Anyhow after getting to the point where I was swinging and snatching fairly heavy bells, I was changing the oil in my car. Realizing I had forgotten the filter wrench and staring straight at the filter, I thought "I wonder.....". It was one of those filters with the grippy material on the cap, so I grabbed it and twisted. I was surprised when it moved, and ultimately I twisted it off. I was willing to chalk it up to the filter having been minimally torqued at installation, but then I noticed I had also put two opposing dents in it with my fingers.
    That's a great couple stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    Wait...now IronMind will have an oil filter shaped gripping implement in their next catalogue.

Don't get me wrong...I like their Captains of Crush grippers.

Deadlifting 275 again after 8 weeks (after a two year layoff) and watching the 30 something in the gym glancing at the weighted bar trying to figure out if I could really lift it.

Up at 04:30 for a page to a house fire. Drove my motorcycle to the fire hall, operated the first out pumper to the call, after getting the attack line pressurized and flowing foam, pulled 100 feet of 5" hi-vol off the hose bed and coupled it to my intake to establish my water supply, etc. Still firefighting at 61 and strong like bull. Grey bull, but still...

Good on ya, Firedog!

When you're at a 30 year class reunion and the guy who was the class stud mentions benching 295 and hopes to hit 300 soon, and almost everyone sits in quiet awe. Then another of your classmates pipes up and mentions, "I spotted Oldster when he benched 300 for 5 sets of 10 last week after a couple heavy singles..."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    When you're at a 30 year class reunion and the guy who was the class stud mentions benching 295 and hopes to hit 300 soon, and almost everyone sits in quiet awe. Then another of your classmates pipes up and mentions, "I spotted Oldster when he benched 300 for 5 sets of 10 last week after a couple heavy singles..."
    Third party compliments are the best! Good on ya!

When a guy much bigger than you comes over to your deadlift setup, loudly critiques you in front of the whole gym, with many onlookers. Tries to demonstrate the "right way." When he can't make the weight budge, he looks at the two plates on the bar and says "Oh, those are 100s."
    "You didn't know?" I reply with a shit-eating grin, and proceed to pull 445x5.

I try not to be an asshole, but this was the most satisfying day I've had in the gym this year, outside of coaching my parents who are in their 60s.

starting strength coach development program
    This is my favorite thread.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast