starting strength gym

Thread: Whey Protein Isolate Benefit (for the elderly)

Default Whey Protein Isolate Benefit (for the elderly)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Based on a month or so of 5 scoops a week my distinct sense is that it has helped my strength. Yes, I know there are many variables in gaining strength, but even if this notion is just in my head, I'll go with it. I realize that the topic may belong in the Nutrition forum, but given its benefits to me at 70, I though that those on the elderly forum might like to know my experience. A search of this and the Nutrition forum did not reveal any specific or recent discussions on whey protein isolate. (Rip gets it on Amazon, which is where I went.) Got the idea from one of Rip's videos where he emphasized whey protein isolate benefits for old people. I did not take his mixing advice though. I use a scoop of the unflavored isolate with a banana, milk, ice cubes and some Quaker Oats granola I get at Costco in a vitamix blender. Not only tasty, but filling and usually helpful with digestion. If 5 or so scoops a week works, I probably should have more.

I start every day with Super Oatmeal:

* 1/2 cup dry old-fashioned oats
    * 1 cup water
    * 1 chopped green apple
    * 2.5 minutes in the microwave

* some whole milk
    * walnuts and raisins (or berries when in season)
    * big spoon of peanut butter
    * 1 scoop whey isolate
    * 1 tsp creatine powder

This has many beneficial effects on me...

Five scoops a week? Heck, I use that much in 2 days.

I don't think there's anything special about whey, other than it's "exquisitely dosable" (as Sully might say). 50-60 grams of protein via whey/milk is a lot easier to get down when not hungry than a steak is. (It's true sometimes I don't feel like steak).

It doesn't specifically have to be Whey Isolate either, unless you have a sensitivity to lactose . Whey concentrate is just as effective and is cheaper. I go through 2-4 scoops a day to hit my macros.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    Five scoops a week? Heck, I use that much in 2 days.

I don't think there's anything special about whey, other than it's "exquisitely dosable" (as Sully might say). 50-60 grams of protein via whey/milk is a lot easier to get down when not hungry than a steak is. (It's true sometimes I don't feel like steak).
    Guess I should have it more often. Might even add creatine powder.

I've used up to 9 scoops a day of whey concentrate during difficult training.

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    Guess I should have it more often. Might even add creatine powder.
    The value of the creatine is unclear to me. I add it because it's known safe, cheap, and helps some people a lot.

I tend to eat red meat fairly often, so I'm probably well-dosed with natural creatine anyway, but why take a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    Based on a month or so of 5 scoops a week my distinct sense is that it has helped my strength. Yes, I know there are many variables in gaining strength, but even if this notion is just in my head, I'll go with it. I realize that the topic may belong in the Nutrition forum, but given its benefits to me at 70, I though that those on the elderly forum might like to know my experience. A search of this and the Nutrition forum did not reveal any specific or recent discussions on whey protein isolate. (Rip gets it on Amazon, which is where I went.) Got the idea from one of Rip's videos where he emphasized whey protein isolate benefits for old people. I did not take his mixing advice though. I use a scoop of the unflavored isolate with a banana, milk, ice cubes and some Quaker Oats granola I get at Costco in a vitamix blender. Not only tasty, but filling and usually helpful with digestion. If 5 or so scoops a week works, I probably should have more.
    Before we get into how Whey is most likely helping you, let me provide you with some additional information.

Older Individuals Need More Protein

Older individuals (I am a member) protein need are much greater than younger individuals.

That because older individuals are not as efficient at digestion as younger individuals.

"Protein Pulse Feeding"

Research show that older individual consuming a larger amount of protein at meals dramatically increase the anaboic-muscle building effect.

The driving force for triggering the anabolic-muscle building effect has to do with...

The Amino Acid-Leucine

Leucine trigger mTOR (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin) which turn on an anaboic cascade that increases muscle mass.

Amount of Leucine Needed

The amount of Leucine needed to turn on the muscle building effect is 2.5 to 4.0 gram of Leucine per serving.

1) Older Leucine Recommendations: It appears that 3.0 gram plus of Leucine is needed to trigger the anabolic response.

1) Younger Leucine Recommendations: 2.5 gram plus.

Percentage of Leucine In Proteins

1) Whey: Around 11% of Whey is composed of Leucine.

That means 30 gram of Whey = 3.3 grams of Leucine.

Whey has the highest percentage of Leucine of all Proteins.

2) Casein Protein, Milk, Dairy, Meats: Approximately 8% is composed of Leucine.

That means 30 gram of protein from the above = 24 grams of Leucine.

Thus, Whey is superior when it come to Leucine.

Various Types of Whey

Each provide a slightly different benefit and the digestion time changes.

Whey Vs Casein
    Whey vs. Casein: The Real Story | T Nation

This is a good article that examines the different type of Whey.

Helping Your Strength

It will definitely help.

Kenny Croxdale

starting strength coach development program
    Kenny's post is great information.
    I would suggest trimming back a bit on the carbohydrates where you can. I found a cup of oatmeal resulted in weight gain. I limit my oatmeal to 1/2 a cup.
    I also have 5 grams of creatine every day. The more research I do about creatine, and there is quit a bit, the more impressed I am with its benefits. I mix it with either a protein shake or coffee or tea.